Start of Daylight Savings - NTP

This is a discussion on Start of Daylight Savings - NTP ; When it will start Daylight Saving time, is there automatic time traslation indipendent from what ntp server I configured in my ntp.conf ? Server must be italian or European ?...

  1. Start of Daylight Savings

    When it will start Daylight Saving time, is there automatic time
    traslation indipendent from what ntp server I configured in my
    ntp.conf ?
    Server must be italian or European ?

  2. Re: Start of Daylight Savings

    RICCARDO wrote:
    > When it will start Daylight Saving time, is there automatic time
    > traslation indipendent from what ntp server I configured in my
    > ntp.conf ?
    > Server must be italian or European ?

    Yes, NTP works entirely in UTC, so has no concept of time zones. Unless a
    server is incorrectly configured, you can use a server in any country. A
    server nearer to you (in network terms) will provide better accuracy.

    Windows and UNIX work in UTC internally. It is your operating system
    which displays the correct local time of your choice. For example, in
    Windows use the Control Panel, Regional settings to adjust the displayed
    time.

    Ciao
    David

  3. Re: Start of Daylight Savings

    Ntpd knows only UTC. It does not care about timezones. Do not worry
    about ntp.conf in this case. Just make sure that you have configured
    correct timezone for the rest of your system.

    On 8 Mar 2007, at 11:23, RICCARDO wrote:

    > When it will start Daylight Saving time, is there automatic time
    > traslation indipendent from what ntp server I configured in my
    > ntp.conf ?
    > Server must be italian or European ?

    Dmitry Ivanov
    Network engineer
    Telecentrs Riga, Latvia
    dimss@telecentrs.lv
    (+371) 7160235

  4. Re: Start of Daylight Savings

    On 25 MARCH Daylight Saving time will change in Italy (-1 hour)
    I don't understand if this modify is applied at UTC level or if it's my
    Timezone settings, which tells to my system local clock as soon as
    particular date time is reached (25 march 2007, 02:00) that time must be
    decreased one hour.
    If in my local settings I had set for example Japan (Japan doesn't use
    Daylight Saving time) I would have no time changing ?!

    Ntpd knows only UTC. It does not care about timezones. Do not worry
    about ntp.conf in this case. Just make sure that you have configured
    correct timezone for the rest of your system.

    On 8 Mar 2007, at 11:23, RICCARDO wrote:

    > When it will start Daylight Saving time, is there automatic time
    > traslation indipendent from what ntp server I configured in my
    > ntp.conf ?
    > Server must be italian or European ?

    Dmitry Ivanov
    Network engineer
    Telecentrs Riga, Latvia
    dimss@telecentrs.lv
    (+371) 7160235

  5. Re: Start of Daylight Savings

    Riccardo Castellani wrote:
    > On 25 MARCH Daylight Saving time will change in Italy (-1 hour)
    > I don't understand if this modify is applied at UTC level or if it's my
    > Timezone settings, which tells to my system local clock as soon as
    > particular date time is reached (25 march 2007, 02:00) that time must be
    > decreased one hour.
    > If in my local settings I had set for example Japan (Japan doesn't use
    > Daylight Saving time) I would have no time changing ?!

    UTC does not have or use "Daylight Saving Time"!!!

    Daylight Saving Time is handled by time zones.

    You neglected to say what Operating System you are using. Some systems
    handle the change automatically. Some require user intervention.

  6. Re: Start of Daylight Savings

    Riccardo Castellani wrote:
    > On 25 MARCH Daylight Saving time will change in Italy (-1 hour)
    > I don't understand if this modify is applied at UTC level or if it's
    > my Timezone settings, which tells to my system local clock as soon as
    > particular date time is reached (25 march 2007, 02:00) that time must
    > be decreased one hour.
    > If in my local settings I had set for example Japan (Japan doesn't use
    > Daylight Saving time) I would have no time changing ?!

    Correct - the changing of the displayed time is what the operating system
    does in accordance with what you tell it, and what information it may
    already have about "Italy", for example. You could try software such as
    the Windows Time Zone Editor (for example) to see how your own system is
    configured:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/d...oy/Default.asp

    Ciao,
    David