ntpd for embedded system - NTP

This is a discussion on ntpd for embedded system - NTP ; Hi, i am using ntpd for an embedded application, where i have a constraint on size. how can i use timezone and ntp log file with out consuming too much space. In pc time zone file consumes 6MB and ntplog ...

  1. ntpd for embedded system

    Hi,
    i am using ntpd for an embedded application, where i have a
    constraint on size. how can i use timezone and ntp log file with out
    consuming too much space. In pc time zone file consumes 6MB and ntplog
    file is unrestricted(can any one confirm). is there any predefined
    limit for ntplog file and optimum way to use time zone files.

    regards,
    murugan

  2. Re: ntpd for embedded system

    Murugan,

    Firstly, time zones: NTP works exclusively in UTC and doesn't need to
    know
    anything at all about timezones. Therefore there is no timezone file
    anywhere in NTP.

    Secondly, logging. Do you need to save log data? If not, you can
    disable logging
    and save yourself some space. If you do need to save log data, you
    should take a
    look at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/monopt.html and
    design an
    appropriate strategy depending on your needs.
    For the record: the log files on my system are around 200KB per day.
    YMMV.

    Paul

  3. Re: ntpd for embedded system

    muruga wrote:
    > Hi,
    > i am using ntpd for an embedded application, where i have a
    > constraint on size. how can i use timezone and ntp log file with out
    > consuming too much space. In pc time zone file consumes 6MB and ntplog
    > file is unrestricted(can any one confirm). is there any predefined
    > limit for ntplog file and optimum way to use time zone files.

    Timezone? NTP doesn't know what a timezone is. It only knows about UTC.
    As far as NTP is concerned you can get rid of that. How come it's 6MB in
    size? What OS are you running and what version? There is no ntplog file
    for ntpd. It uses the syslog for Unix and the Eventlog for Windows. You
    can send output to /dev/null if you don't want it.

    All in all I think you may not be running the reference implementation
    of NTP.

  4. Re: ntpd for embedded system

    On 9 Mar 2007, at 03:48, Danny Mayer wrote:
    > All in all I think you may not be running the reference implementation
    > of NTP.

    BTW, I am using Linux port of OpenNTPD for my embedded projects. Why?
    Because openntpd is smaller than "real" ntpd. And it works good
    enough for us. We have very limited flash memory...

    Hundreds of devices have to run unattended 24x7 with unreliable
    network connectivity. The funny part of the story is that our
    hardware has no hardware clock. It's 1 Jan 2000 after every boot
    Small shell script solves the problem.

    --
    Dmitry Ivanov
    Network engineer