configuring clients to NTP servers - NTP

This is a discussion on configuring clients to NTP servers - NTP ; I have 15 clients in my lan, it's correct to insert as first entry in ntp configuration the same server on all 15 clients ? case 1: client K1,K2,K3,...K15 : server time.ien.it server ntp2.ien.it server ntp1.ien.it case 2: client K1 ...

  1. configuring clients to NTP servers

    I have 15 clients in my lan, it's correct to insert as first entry in
    ntp configuration the same server on all 15 clients ?

    case 1:
    client K1,K2,K3,...K15 :
    server time.ien.it
    server ntp2.ien.it
    server ntp1.ien.it

    case 2:

    client K1
    server time.ien.it
    server ntp2.ien.it
    server ntp1.ien.it

    client K2
    server ntp1.ien.it
    server time.ien.it
    server ntp2.ien.it

    client K3
    server ntp2.ien.it
    server time.ien.it
    server ntp1.ien.it

    In "case 2" clients time is get from different servers, so client
    times can be different (also if for few millisends ) It's right ?

  2. Re: configuring clients to NTP servers

    RICCARDO wrote:
    > I have 15 clients in my lan, it's correct to insert as first entry in
    > ntp configuration the same server on all 15 clients ?
    >
    > case 1:
    > client K1,K2,K3,...K15 :
    > server time.ien.it
    > server ntp2.ien.it
    > server ntp1.ien.it
    >
    > case 2:
    >
    > client K1
    > server time.ien.it
    > server ntp2.ien.it
    > server ntp1.ien.it
    >
    > client K2
    > server ntp1.ien.it
    > server time.ien.it
    > server ntp2.ien.it
    >
    > client K3
    > server ntp2.ien.it
    > server time.ien.it
    > server ntp1.ien.it
    >
    > In "case 2" clients time is get from different servers, so client
    > times can be different (also if for few millisends ) It's right ?

    All these configurations should yield approximately the same time.
    Since I'm not supposed to use html in a newsgroup, please put the word
    "approximately" in bold face italic!

    It doesn't matter what order you list the servers in if they are the
    same servers.

    FWIW, you should use a minimum of four servers for reliability. If any
    one of your three configured servers fails, you have only two left and
    it is written that a man with two clocks can never be certain what time
    it is!

    There will be small differences in time between the clients. This is
    unavoidable because they are all slightly different even if they are the
    same model hardware, running the same applications with the same
    workload. I would expect the differences between any two randomly
    selected clients to be between one and five milliseconds.

    I would suggest setting up an internal server to query the internet
    servers and serve time to your local clients.

+ Reply to Thread