problem in ntpd in resoving pool.ntp.org - NTP

This is a discussion on problem in ntpd in resoving pool.ntp.org - NTP ; Hi, can any one help me, i get a strange error when i try to metion ntp pool servers in ntp.config file and start ntpd, it throws a error saying host name can't be resolved, but it is working fine ...

  1. problem in ntpd in resoving pool.ntp.org

    Hi,

    can any one help me, i get a strange error when i try to metion ntp
    pool servers in ntp.config file and start ntpd, it throws a error
    saying host name can't be resolved, but it is working fine when i use
    in ntpdate.

    NTP configuration file

    server pool.ntp.org
    server 127.127.1.0 iburst minpoll 4 #use local clock
    fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 #reduce stratum for local clock
    restrict default nomodify notrap nopeer
    restrict 127.0.0.1
    restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0
    driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    logfile /var/log/ntp.log

    when i execute ntpd and see the /var/log/ntp.log file i got the
    following
    lines "pool.ntp.org" no host name and host name cannot be resolved

    but when i try to give by /usr/sbin/ntpdate -d pool.ntp.org it is
    resolved and
    i can see eight ntp servers replying back and setting time.

    why ntpd can't resolve while ntpdate works properly while contacting
    pool.ntp.org
    can any one help me

    thanks in advance

    murugan

  2. Re: problem in ntpd in resoving pool.ntp.org

    >>> In article <1173091057.974708.9730@n33g2000cwc.googlegroups.co m>, "muruga" writes:

    muruga> Hi, can any one help me, i get a strange error when i try to metion
    muruga> ntp pool servers in ntp.config file and start ntpd, it throws a
    muruga> error saying host name can't be resolved, but it is working fine
    muruga> when i use in ntpdate.

    Your 'restrict' lines are the problem.

    Please see http://ntp.isc.org/Support/AccessRestrictions

  3. Re: problem in ntpd in resoving pool.ntp.org

    On 2007-03-05, muruga wrote:

    > NTP configuration file
    >
    > server pool.ntp.org

    This has nothing to do with your apparent DNS problem, but ... you
    should use a minimum of 4 time sources (not including the LocalCLK). The
    only time I'd rely on one time source would be if I controlled it.

    > server 127.127.1.0 iburst minpoll 4 #use local clock

    This has nothing to do with your apparent DNS problem, but ... 'iburst'
    does nothing for ref-clocks.

    > fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 #reduce stratum for local clock
    > restrict default nomodify notrap nopeer
    > restrict 127.0.0.1
    > restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0
    > driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    > logfile /var/log/ntp.log
    >
    > when i execute ntpd and see the /var/log/ntp.log file i got the
    > following lines "pool.ntp.org" no host name and host name cannot be
    > resolved

    Are you sure that your resolver / DNS is working correctly?

    Did you install ntpd from a binary package or did you compile it your
    self?

    > but when i try to give by /usr/sbin/ntpdate -d pool.ntp.org it is
    > resolved and i can see eight ntp servers replying back and setting
    > time.

    This, on the other hand, suggests that your DNS is working.

    > why ntpd can't resolve while ntpdate works properly while contacting
    > pool.ntp.org can any one help me

    I don't see anything in your configuration file that would interfere
    with DNS.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  4. Re: problem in ntpd in resoving pool.ntp.org

    On Mar 6, 8:40 am, Steve Kostecke wrote:
    > On 2007-03-05, muruga wrote:
    >
    > > NTP configuration file

    > > server pool.ntp.org

    > This has nothing to do with your apparent DNS problem, but ... you
    > should use a minimum of 4 time sources (not including the LocalCLK). The
    > only time I'd rely on one time source would be if I controlled it.
    >
    > > server 127.127.1.0 iburst minpoll 4 #use local clock

    > This has nothing to do with your apparent DNS problem, but ... 'iburst'
    > does nothing for ref-clocks.
    >
    > > fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 #reduce stratum for local clock
    > > restrict default nomodify notrap nopeer
    > > restrict 127.0.0.1
    > > restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0
    > > driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    > > logfile /var/log/ntp.log

    > > when i execute ntpd and see the /var/log/ntp.log file i got the
    > > following lines "pool.ntp.org" no host name and host name cannot be
    > > resolved

    > Are you sure that your resolver / DNS is working correctly?
    >
    > Did you install ntpd from a binary package or did you compile it your
    > self?
    >
    > > but when i try to give by /usr/sbin/ntpdate -d pool.ntp.org it is
    > > resolved and i can see eight ntp servers replying back and setting
    > > time.

    > This, on the other hand, suggests that your DNS is working.
    >
    > > why ntpd can't resolve while ntpdate works properly while contacting
    > > pool.ntp.org can any one help me

    > I don't see anything in your configuration file that would interfere
    > with DNS.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Kostecke
    > NTP Public Services Project -http://ntp.isc.org/

    Hi steve,
    i compiled the ntpd code (4.2.4) myself for an arm target using xcross
    compiler, and not the exe obtained with package. is there any
    compilation related stuff like enable flags which i need to do to
    resolve domain names correctly.

  5. Re: problem in ntpd in resoving pool.ntp.org

    >>> In article <1173672979.547531.17830@n33g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>, "muruga" writes:

    muruga> Hi steve, i compiled the ntpd code (4.2.4) myself for an arm target
    muruga> using xcross compiler, and not the exe obtained with package. is
    muruga> there any compilation related stuff like enable flags which i need
    muruga> to do to resolve domain names correctly.

    No. If you 'dig pool.ntp.org' (or whatever server(s) you are specifying) do
    you see the name resolving? What about 'traceroute pool.ntp.org' (or
    whatever...)?

  6. Re: problem in ntpd in resoving pool.ntp.org

    muruga wrote:
    > Hi steve,
    > i compiled the ntpd code (4.2.4) myself for an arm target using xcross
    > compiler, and not the exe obtained with package. is there any
    > compilation related stuff like enable flags which i need to do to
    > resolve domain names correctly.

    Cross-compiles can be iffy sometimes. However, please make sure you can
    fork processes on the target box. ntpd needs to do this sometimes to
    allow it to do DNS lookups. Make sure you don't have any restrict
    statements preventing 127.0.0.1 from updating ntpd.

    Danny