looking for public NTP servers - NTP

This is a discussion on looking for public NTP servers - NTP ; I am located on Miami Florida , 33172. At the moment I am syncronized with 128.138.140.44(india.colorado.edu) I would like to setup a secundary NTP server for redundancy. Any sujestions? Osvaldo Quinones Telecommunication Analyst CommerceBank Information System Dept. - ************************************************** ************************************************ ...

  1. looking for public NTP servers

    I am located on Miami Florida , 33172. At the moment I am syncronized with
    128.138.140.44(india.colorado.edu) I would like to setup a secundary NTP
    server for redundancy. Any sujestions?

    Osvaldo Quinones
    Telecommunication Analyst
    CommerceBank
    Information System Dept.
    -

    ************************************************** ************************************************
    The information in this email transmission is privileged and confidential. If you are not
    the intended recipient, nor the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
    intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this
    transmission (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
    email in error, please notify the sender by email reply. Thank you.

    ** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content **
    ************************************************** ************************************************

  2. Re: looking for public NTP servers

    oquinones@commercebankfl.com wrote:
    > I am located on Miami Florida , 33172. At the moment I am syncronized with
    > 128.138.140.44(india.colorado.edu) I would like to setup a secundary NTP
    > server for redundancy. Any sujestions?
    >

    > Osvaldo Quinones

    You will find lists of public stratum 1 and stratum 2 servers at:
    http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome

    Try to select servers that are close to you; e.g. in Florida, Georgia,
    Alabama, South Carolina, etc. Other things being equal, closer is
    better. If your internet gateway is located in, say, New Jersey then
    the best you can do is to choose servers in New Jersey, Pennsylvania,
    Delaware, New York, etc.

    For reliability you should have a minimum of four servers. Two servers
    is the worst possible configuration; when they differ, as they
    inevitably will, which one do you believe??? A configuration with four
    servers can survive the failure of any one server. A five server
    configuration can survive the loss of two servers. Seven servers
    protects against three failing servers. If four or more of your servers
    fail, you have probably made poor choices of servers! :-)

    Look for servers with low values of round trip delay. Delays of up to
    twenty-five or thirty milliseconds are okay. The delay is important
    because it limits the maximum error in transmitting time from server to
    client to one half the round trip value. The error will usually be much
    less but can't possibly be more.

    If you have a single path to the internet, that path is a single point
    of failure!

  3. Re: looking for public NTP servers

    On 2007-02-28, oquinones@commercebankfl.com wrote:

    > I am located on Miami Florida , 33172. At the moment I am syncronized
    > with 128.138.140.44(india.colorado.edu) I would like to setup a
    > secundary NTP server for redundancy. Any sujestions?

    The Public Time Servers list home-page may be reached through either of
    the following cannonical URLs:

    http://www.ntp.org/servers
    http://ntp.isc.org/servers

    The Stratum-2 time server list may be reached through either of the
    following cannonical URLs:

    http://www.ntp.org/s2
    http://ntp.isc.org/s2

    If you want to know if you should be using Stratum-1 time servers please
    review the "Rules Of Engagement" at:

    http://ntp.isc.org/rules

    --
    Steve Kostecke