newbie - NTP

This is a discussion on newbie - NTP ; I have to computers on the same network. what i am trying to do is making one of the machines broadcast server and the other broadcast client. also server will use the local time. for that purpose i write the ...

  1. newbie

    I have to computers on the same network.
    what i am trying to do is making one of the machines broadcast server and the other broadcast client.
    also server will use the local time.

    for that purpose i write the below lines into the /etc/ntp.conf at the server side

    server 127.127.1.0
    broadcast 20.1.1.255

    and at the client side i only write

    broadcastclient

    this is a simple configuration. but i could not make it work.

  2. Re: newbie

    mehmet bilgin wrote:
    > for that purpose i write the below lines into the /etc/ntp.conf at the server side
    >
    > server 127.127.1.0
    > broadcast 20.1.1.255
    >
    > and at the client side i only write
    >
    > broadcastclient
    >
    > this is a simple configuration. but i could not make it work.

    Some time in the past that the local clock server would not be used for
    broadcast time unless it was marked 'prefer'. I don't know if that is
    still true in current versions.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: newbie

    On 2007-03-01, mehmet bilgin wrote:

    > I have to computers on the same network. what i am trying to do is
    > making one of the machines broadcast server and the other broadcast
    > client. also server will use the local time.
    >
    > for that purpose i write the below lines into the /etc/ntp.conf at the
    > server side
    >
    > server 127.127.1.0
    > broadcast 20.1.1.255

    You should also specify the driftfile and, there is any chance that your
    broadcast packets will be routed to another network, 'fudge 127.127.1.0
    stratum 10'

    > and at the client side i only write
    >
    > broadcastclient

    Broadcast mode requires the use of NTP Authentication unless explicitly
    disabled.

    If you wish to disable NTP Authentication you must start ntpd with '-A':

    -A
    Do not require cryptographic authentication for broadcast client,
    multicast client and symmetric passive associations. This is almost
    never a good idea.

    There is also a configuration directive to disable authentication.

    You should know that disabling authentication may allow rogue broadcast
    servers to send invalid time to the systems on your network.

    --
    Steve Kostecke