3 Peer server at same stratum. - NTP

This is a discussion on 3 Peer server at same stratum. - NTP ; If I have 3 time servers (at same stratum) in my lan where each server is indipendent and has set several NTP servers of stratum 1; I 'd like creating redundancy so I think to insert peer option (using symmetric ...

  1. 3 Peer server at same stratum.

    If I have 3 time servers (at same stratum) in my lan where each server
    is indipendent and has set several NTP servers of stratum 1; I 'd like
    creating redundancy so I think to insert peer option (using symmetric
    mode) in ntp.conf for all 3 servers.

    peer B
    peer C

    peer A
    peer C

    peer A
    peer B

    I read documens about ntp but I have always some doubts.

    1 - which NTP server (among these 3) become active ?
    2 - The others two go into passive mode ?
    3 - What logic permit to the NTP server of these 3 to be elected
    active ?

  2. Re: 3 Peer server at same stratum.

    "RICCARDO" wrote:

    > If I have 3 time servers (at same stratum) in my lan where each server
    > is indipendent and has set several NTP servers of stratum 1; I 'd like
    > creating redundancy so I think to insert peer option (using symmetric
    > mode) in ntp.conf for all 3 servers.

    > peer B
    > peer C

    > peer A
    > peer C

    > peer A
    > peer B
    >
    > I read documens about ntp but I have always some doubts.
    >
    > 1 - which NTP server (among these 3) become active ?
    > 2 - The others two go into passive mode ?
    > 3 - What logic permit to the NTP server of these 3 to be elected
    > active ?

    I'd expect them all to be symmetric active, because they all actively
    establish peering with each other. Active/passive describes how the
    association between two peers is established, it's not a group issue.

    --
    Ronan Flood

+ Reply to Thread