help req for manually setting ntpd in server and serve to ntpdate and ntpd in clients - NTP

This is a discussion on help req for manually setting ntpd in server and serve to ntpdate and ntpd in clients - NTP ; Hi, can any one help me for manually setting time in ntpd and serving to clients in an isolated network I have added tos orphan 5 cmd in ntp.conf file of server and starated ntpd.i can update time by using ...

  1. help req for manually setting ntpd in server and serve to ntpdate and ntpd in clients

    Hi,
    can any one help me for manually setting time in ntpd and serving
    to clients in an isolated network I have added tos orphan 5 cmd in
    ntp.conf file of server and starated ntpd.i can update time by using
    ntpclient and windows date utility but when i tried with ntpdate
    utility it throws a error saying server dropped: server not sync too
    long when i captured the received ntp packet from server the time set
    by reference source field is NULL and stratum is 5.

    i am manually setting time in server using date cmd "date
    073123162007'' and staring ntpd

    ntp.config file for server

    tos orphan 5 #must for manual configured time
    restrict 127.0.0.1 #restirct loopback
    restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 nomodify notrap #serve lan
    clients
    driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    logfile /var/log/ntp.log
    broadcastdelay 0.008

    ntp.config file for client

    server 192.168.0.1
    restrict 127.0.0.1 #restirct loopback
    restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 nomodify notrap #serve lan
    clients driftfile /etc/ntp/drift logfile /var/log/ntp.log
    broadcastdelay 0.008

    is the configrations for server and client correct do i need to add
    any other parameters in config file to successfully obtain time by
    ntpdate cmd in clients

    Thanks in advance

    murugan

  2. Re: help req for manually setting ntpd in server and serve to ntpdate and ntpd in clients

    On 2007-02-27, muruga wrote:

    > can any one help me for manually setting time in ntpd and serving
    > to clients in an isolated network

    You can do this by using the Undisciplined Local Clock (LocalCLK) as the
    time source on your server. Keep in mind that, when using the LocalCLK,
    all of the "clients" will be chasing a drifting server.

    > I have added tos orphan 5 cmd in ntp.conf file of server and starated
    > ntpd.

    Orphan mode is intended to provide a group of ntpds to coordinate the
    best clock among themselves. Using orphan mode requires configuring it
    on multiple ntpds.

    > i can update time by using ntpclient

    There is nothing called "ntpclient" in the NTP Reference Implementation
    Distribution.

    > and windows date utility but when i tried with ntpdate utility it
    > throws a error saying server dropped: server not sync too long

    That's because your server has no source of time. We'll get to that
    further on.

    > when i captured the received ntp packet from server the time set by
    > reference source field is NULL

    That means your server has no source of time.

    >and stratum is 5.

    That's probably due to the 'tos orphan 5' directive.

    > ntp.config file for server
    >
    > tos orphan 5

    The orphan line is meaningless because orphan mode has not been enabled
    on any other ntpds.

    You need to add this so that this ntpd will claim to be synced:

    | server 127.127.1.0
    | fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

    > restrict 127.0.0.1
    > restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 nomodify notrap #serve lan
    > clients

    Those restrict lines will work in the context of your sub-net. But I
    think that this is better:

    | restrict default nomodify notrap nopeer
    | restrict 127.0.0.1

    > driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    > logfile /var/log/ntp.log
    > broadcastdelay 0.008

    The broadcastdelay line is only useful for a broadcast client. It isn't
    hurting anything, but it also has no effect.

    After you correct your server ntp.conf restart ntpd. It will be ready to
    serve tome to others in a little under 3.5 minutes.

    > ntp.config file for client
    >
    > server 192.168.0.1

    Append 'iburst' on the server line to speed up sync (from ~5 minutes to
    ~20 seconds):

    | server 192.168.0.1 iburst

    > restrict 127.0.0.1
    > restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 nomodify notrap #serve lan
    > clients

    I'd use:

    | restrict default nomodify notrap nopeer
    | restrict 127.0.0.1

    > driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    > logfile /var/log/ntp.log
    > broadcastdelay 0.008

    My previous comment about broadcastdelay applies here, too.

    > is the configrations for server and client correct do i need to add
    > any other parameters in config file to successfully obtain time by
    > ntpdate cmd in clients

    You can't use ntpdate while ntpd is running on the same system.

    If you wish to use orphan mode additional configuration is required. You
    will need to add the 'tos orphan X' line to all of the participating ntpds.
    You will also need to add the LocalCLK to those ntpds. And you will need
    to properly set the strata.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  3. Re: help req for manually setting ntpd in server and serve to ntpdateand ntpd in clients

    Steve Kostecke wrote:
    > On 2007-02-27, muruga wrote:
    >

    >>can any one help me for manually setting time in ntpd and serving
    >>to clients in an isolated network

    >>is the configrations for server and client correct do i need to add
    >>any other parameters in config file to successfully obtain time by
    >>ntpdate cmd in clients

    > You can't use ntpdate while ntpd is running on the same system.

    Not true. ntpdate -du works just fine! You just can't use it to set
    the clock.

    And he says he wants to use ntpdate on the clients! That should work as
    long as the clients are not running ntpd as well.

  4. Re: help req for manually setting ntpd in server and serve to ntpdate and ntpd in clients

    On Feb 28, 12:05 am, "Richard B. gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Steve Kostecke wrote:
    > > On 2007-02-27, muruga wrote:

    > >>can any one help me for manually setting time in ntpd and serving
    > >>to clients in an isolated network

    > >>is the configrations for server and client correct do i need to add
    > >>any other parameters in config file to successfully obtain time by
    > >>ntpdate cmd in clients

    > > You can't use ntpdate while ntpd is running on the same system.

    > Not true. ntpdate -du works just fine! You just can't use it to set
    > the clock.
    >
    > And he says he wants to use ntpdate on the clients! That should work as
    > long as the clients are not running ntpd as well.

    thanks Steve its working fine

+ Reply to Thread