Question on HuffPuff - NTP

This is a discussion on Question on HuffPuff - NTP ; Hi, as reported earlier I have a system running at the far end of an ISDN line ( 36ms idle delay , a second or two dialup timeout if the line is down at poll) Huffpuff is ~2days. I get ...

  1. Question on HuffPuff

    Hi,

    as reported earlier I have a system running at the far end of an
    ISDN line ( 36ms idle delay , a second or two dialup timeout
    if the line is down at poll)
    Huffpuff is ~2days.
    I get streches of perfect sync and then small to very big hickups.
    as far as I can see after the huffpuff windows has been without
    any excursions.

    some graphix
    http: //www.aip.de/ groups/osra/spectra/local.png
    last ~50hours
    http: //www.aip.de/ groups/osra/spectra/local.recent.png
    offset and delay for the upstream server:
    http: //www.aip.de/ groups/osra/spectra/marlowe.png

    uwe

  2. Re: Question on HuffPuff

    >as reported earlier I have a system running at the far end of an
    > ISDN line ( 36ms idle delay , a second or two dialup timeout
    >if the line is down at poll)

    That dialup delay is what's causing the problem.

    As an experiment, can you leave it connected for a while? (hour)

    You can also try "burst" on the server line. That will send
    a burst of packets rather than just one. The filtering should
    ignore the long delays on the first one or two.

    Beware: burst will increase traffic. Some servers may not
    like that.

  3. Re: Question on HuffPuff

    > You can also try "burst" on the server line. That will send
    > a burst of packets rather than just one. The filtering should
    > ignore the long delays on the first one or two.
    >
    > Beware: burst will increase traffic. Some servers may not
    > like that.

    If you need a server to test with "burst" just tell me your IP and
    I'll help.

  4. Re: Question on HuffPuff

    Eugen COCA wrote:
    >>You can also try "burst" on the server line. That will send
    >>a burst of packets rather than just one. The filtering should
    >>ignore the long delays on the first one or two.
    >>
    >>Beware: burst will increase traffic. Some servers may not
    >>like that.

    server admin can't complain ;-)

    > If you need a server to test with "burst" just tell me your IP and
    > I'll help.

    Thanks Eugen,
    I can not reach any server outside my customers internal net

    uwe

    The current config without the comments:
    This used to run rather well in my initial
    installation ~2001/2 with then recent SW ;-(
    the huffpuff is new though.
    ################################################## #
    logfile /var/log/ntp
    logconfig =all

    tinker huffpuff 160000

    server 127.127.1.0
    fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
    driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift/ntp.drift

    server marlowe.aipx.dex prefer iburst minpoll 10 maxpoll 16
    # i actually cannot reach the next two:
    server ntp1.ptb.de
    server ntp1.t-online.de

    tinker huffpuff 160000