(Software) timeserver for windows being broadcast-able incl. keys - NTP

This is a discussion on (Software) timeserver for windows being broadcast-able incl. keys - NTP ; Erik wrote: > What I do understand is that the difficulty is in the combination of > broadcast-time-correcting inchangeable > (broadcast-)clients on different network segments by one server It's independent of NTP or anything related to time. The difficulty is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 42 of 42

  1. Re: (Software) timeserver for windows being broadcast-able incl.keys

    Erik wrote:

    > What I do understand is that the difficulty is in the combination of
    > broadcast-time-correcting inchangeable
    > (broadcast-)clients on different network segments by one server

    It's independent of NTP or anything related to time. The difficulty
    is with using broadcast with this network design, regardless of what the
    application is. And it's not so much that you have a single server, but
    that you have only a single interface that is not on any of the 4 networks
    in which you are interested.

    > What I still would like to know:
    >
    > Is the following (earlier posted) idea...
    >
    >> broadcast 145.47.51.127 key 1
    >> broadcast 145.47.51.255 key 1
    >> broadcast 145.47.52.127 key 1
    >> broadcast 145.47.53.127 key 1

    > ..from server...
    >
    >> IP-adres . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 145.47.54.146
    >> Subnetmask . . . . . . . . . . . .: 255.255.255.128
    >> Standaardgateway . . . . . . . .: 145.47.54.129

    > ... definetely useless or still worth a try?

    Definitely useless.

    > BTW: the manufacturer advises to install its systems in the same
    > network segment behind a router to be coupled with the company-VLAN
    > The time server, being on the same router, will be able to reach all
    > clients by broadcast
    > Yet, here we do not have networks-per-manufacturer but mixed networks,
    > resulting in a network with systems of this manufacturer
    > spread across the whole network (which is divided into several
    > subnets)

    The key thing to know here is whether each subnet is on its
    *own* VLAN or if they are all on the *same* VLAN. If they and
    the server are all on the same VLAN, it may be possible
    to make broadcast work even with only one server interface.

    It may also be possible to make it work if the routers are
    configured to route broadcast packets to networks other
    than the one they originate on.

    If neither of the above is true, which is most likely the case,
    I think the only way to make broadcast work would be:

    a) Put a server on each of the 4 subnets. You can peer the
    4 servers together in NTP. In this case, each server would
    broadcast only to its own subnet.

    -OR-

    b) Put 4 NICs in the server you have, and wire each NIC to
    one of the 4 subnets, giving each an address on its own subnet
    instead of the address your server has now. In this case, the one
    server would broadcast to all 4 subnets using the broadcast
    statements you listed above.

    -Tom

  2. Re: (Software) timeserver for windowsbeing broadcast-able incl. keys

    Erik wrote:

    > BTW: the manufacturer advises to install its systems in the same
    > network segment behind a router to be coupled with the company-VLAN
    > The time server, being on the same router, will be able to reach all
    > clients by broadcast
    > Yet, here we do not have networks-per-manufacturer but mixed networks,
    > resulting in a network with systems of this manufacturer
    > spread across the whole network (which is divided into several
    > subnets)

    Depending on your network, consider setting up one system on each subnet
    to act as a regular server and have it broadcast to the subnet.

    Danny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3