ntp behaviour at startup - NTP

This is a discussion on ntp behaviour at startup - NTP ; I see a single line and a single chart in NTP FAQs that discusses how long after startup until NTP reaches a good and stable value. That line is "Also keep in mind that corrections are applied gradually, so it ...

  1. ntp behaviour at startup

    I see a single line and a single chart in NTP FAQs
    that discusses how long after startup
    until NTP reaches a good and stable value.

    That line is

    "Also keep in mind that corrections are applied
    gradually, so it may take up to three
    hours until the frequency error is compensated"

    Can anyone point me to additional information or
    additional studies on how this subject?

    Mark

  2. Re: ntp behaviour at startup

    marknmbox-88@yahoo.com,

    The good thing about faqs is they are quick and dirty; the bad thing is
    they are sometimes wrong. Starting ntpd for the first time and without a
    frequency file, ntpd computes the frequency directly and sets it within
    1 PPM in fifteen minutes. Indeed, there will be small wiggles of a
    milliscond or two as the daemon shaves off the residuals in a couple of
    hours, but it isn't clear if you consider the residuals as errors.

    marknmbox-88@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I see a single line and a single chart in NTP FAQs
    > that discusses how long after startup
    > until NTP reaches a good and stable value.
    >
    > That line is
    >
    > "Also keep in mind that corrections are applied
    > gradually, so it may take up to three
    > hours until the frequency error is compensated"
    >
    > Can anyone point me to additional information or
    > additional studies on how this subject?
    >

    > Mark

  3. FAQ Error (Was: Re: ntp behaviour at startup)

    On 2007-02-05, mills@udel.edu wrote:

    > marknmbox-88@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> I see a single line and a single chart in NTP FAQs that discusses how
    >> long after startup until NTP reaches a good and stable value. That
    >> line is
    >>
    >> "Also keep in mind that corrections are applied gradually, so it may
    >> take up to three hours until the frequency error is compensated"

    > The good thing about faqs is they are quick and dirty; the bad thing is
    > they are sometimes wrong.

    In this case, the text cited above is located at
    http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo.htm

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  4. Re: FAQ Error (Was: Re: ntp behaviour at startup)

    Steve Kostecke writes:

    > On 2007-02-05, mills@udel.edu wrote:
    >
    > > marknmbox-88@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >
    > >> I see a single line and a single chart in NTP FAQs that discusses how
    > >> long after startup until NTP reaches a good and stable value. That
    > >> line is
    > >>
    > >> "Also keep in mind that corrections are applied gradually, so it may
    > >> take up to three hours until the frequency error is compensated"

    > > The good thing about faqs is they are quick and dirty; the bad thing is
    > > they are sometimes wrong.

    What exactly do you think is wrong there?

    > In this case, the text cited above is located at
    > http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo.htm

    Actually the quote also says " (see Figure 3)."
    (http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo.htm#FIG-NTP-INIT)

    As the file name http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/ntp35f-init.png might suggest, the
    version used was xntp-3.5, and I apologize for the lack of a legend on the X
    axis.

    As the sources of the FAQ also say:

    it's obvious that this was almost sevel years ago. However, as HP still ships
    xntpd (AFAIK), that numbers may be valid still.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

    > --
    > Steve Kostecke