disable pll not working? - NTP

This is a discussion on disable pll not working? - NTP ; Hy there I'm running a Zone on Solaris 10 which should provide xntpd services for other servers. As I cannot set the system time in a zone I do so in the globalzone using ntpdate. Here is the configuration (/etc/inet/ntp.conf): ...

  1. disable pll not working?

    Hy there
    I'm running a Zone on Solaris 10 which should provide xntpd services
    for other servers. As I cannot set the system time in a zone I do so in
    the globalzone using ntpdate.

    Here is the configuration (/etc/inet/ntp.conf):

    # Fall back to local clock
    server 127.127.1.0
    fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 9

    # misc settings
    enable auth monitor
    disable pll
    driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift
    statsdir /var/ntp/ntpstats/
    filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable file loopstats type
    day enable file clockstats type day enable

    So pll meaning setting the local time is obviously disable. Even I
    disabled setting the local time in the zone I see this message:

    Jan 22 13:48:59 server xntpd[1602]: [ID 534068 daemon.error] Can't
    adjust time: Not owner

    Any hints?

    Thanks, Stefan

  2. Re: disable pll not working?

    "Stifi" wrote:

    > I'm running a Zone on Solaris 10 which should provide xntpd services
    > for other servers. As I cannot set the system time in a zone I do so in
    > the globalzone using ntpdate.
    >
    > Here is the configuration (/etc/inet/ntp.conf):
    >
    > # Fall back to local clock
    > server 127.127.1.0

    Try server 127.127.1.0 prefer

    Might help.

    --
    Ronan Flood

  3. Re: disable pll not working?

    Ronan, thanks...xntp is still complaining...
    Ronan Flood schrieb:

    > "Stifi" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm running a Zone on Solaris 10 which should provide xntpd services
    > > for other servers. As I cannot set the system time in a zone I do so in
    > > the globalzone using ntpdate.
    > >
    > > Here is the configuration (/etc/inet/ntp.conf):
    > >
    > > # Fall back to local clock
    > > server 127.127.1.0

    > Try server 127.127.1.0 prefer
    >
    > Might help.
    >
    > --
    > Ronan Flood

  4. Re: disable pll not working?

    Stifi wrote:

    > Hy there
    > I'm running a Zone on Solaris 10 which should provide xntpd services
    > for other servers. As I cannot set the system time in a zone I do so in
    > the globalzone using ntpdate.

    If you can't set the time in a local zone, ntpd can't either!!

    Suggest you try running ntpd in the global zone.

    I don't understand what you are trying to do with disable pll, but see
    above!

    Also, you don't seem to have configured any internet servers or any
    hardware reference clock.

    If you are just trying to synchronize clocks with each other, suggest
    using rdate. If you really care about the correct time, configure ntpd
    to get time from a source traceable to an atomic clock!

  5. Re: disable pll not working?

    "Stifi" wrote:

    > Ronan, thanks...xntp is still complaining...

    Huh, in that case I think your only option is to download a more
    up-do-date version of ntpd from www.ntp.org/downloads.html, build
    and install, and use "disable ntp" in the ntp.conf.

    --
    Ronan Flood

  6. Re: disable pll not working?

    Richard, according the manpage of xntpd:

    pll enable Enables the server to adjust its
    local clock. If not set,
    the
    local clock free-runs at
    its
    intrinsic time and
    frequency
    offset. This flag is useful
    in
    case the local clock is
    con-
    trolled by some other device
    or
    protocol and NTP is used only
    provide synchronization to
    other
    clients.

    ....so disabling pll in the configuration of xntpd I would expect xntpd
    no longer tries to set the time on the local system. Maybe I
    misunderstand this option????

    Richard B. Gilbert schrieb:

    > Stifi wrote:
    >
    > > Hy there
    > > I'm running a Zone on Solaris 10 which should provide xntpd services
    > > for other servers. As I cannot set the system time in a zone I do so in
    > > the globalzone using ntpdate.
    > >

    > If you can't set the time in a local zone, ntpd can't either!!
    >
    > Suggest you try running ntpd in the global zone.
    >
    > I don't understand what you are trying to do with disable pll, but see
    > above!
    >
    > Also, you don't seem to have configured any internet servers or any
    > hardware reference clock.
    >
    > If you are just trying to synchronize clocks with each other, suggest
    > using rdate. If you really care about the correct time, configure ntpd
    > to get time from a source traceable to an atomic clock!

  7. Re: disable pll not working?

    sorry, here once again the manpage section in a better readable format:

    pll enable
    Enables the server to adjust its local clock. If not set, the
    local clock free-runs at its intrinsic time and frequency
    offset. This flag is useful in case the local clock is
    controlled by some other device or protocol and NTP is used only to
    provide synchronization to other clients.

  8. Re: disable pll not working?

    Stifi wrote:

    > sorry, here once again the manpage section in a better readable format:
    >

    > pll enable
    > Enables the server to adjust its local clock. If not set, the
    > local clock free-runs at its intrinsic time and frequency
    > offset. This flag is useful in case the local clock is
    > controlled by some other device or protocol and NTP is used only to
    > provide synchronization to other clients.

    All right, which "other device or protocol" controls the local clock?

    If you are trying to serve your unsynchronized local clock, using NTP is
    rather like using a Rolex watch to compensate for one leg of your desk
    being an eighth of an inch shorter than the other three!!

  9. Re: disable pll not working?

    "Stifi" wrote:

    > sorry, here once again the manpage section in a better readable format:
    >
    > pll enable
    > Enables the server to adjust its local clock. If not set, the
    > local clock free-runs at its intrinsic time and frequency
    > offset. This flag is useful in case the local clock is
    > controlled by some other device or protocol and NTP is used only to
    > provide synchronization to other clients.

    I believe this is known to be incorrect -- "disable pll" in xntpd tells
    the daemon to discipline the system clock itself; "enable pll" tells the
    daemon to use the kernel to discipline the system clock.

    --
    Ronan Flood

  10. Re: disable pll not working?

    Ronan Flood schrieb:

    > "Stifi" wrote:
    >
    > > sorry, here once again the manpage section in a better readable format:
    > >
    > > pll enable
    > > Enables the server to adjust its local clock. If not set, the
    > > local clock free-runs at its intrinsic time and frequency
    > > offset. This flag is useful in case the local clock is
    > > controlled by some other device or protocol and NTP is used only to
    > > provide synchronization to other clients.

    > I believe this is known to be incorrect -- "disable pll" in xntpd tells
    > the daemon to discipline the system clock itself; "enable pll" tells the
    > daemon to use the kernel to discipline the system clock.

    Ronan, as I set "enable pll" I get this message:

    Jan 23 17:18:37 server xntpd[28946]: [ID 373468 daemon.error]
    adj_frequency: ntp_adjtime failed: Not owner

    ....and as I set "disable pll" I get this message:

    Jan 21 10:44:38 server xntpd[3967]: [ID 534068 daemon.error] Can't
    adjust time: Not owner

    In my understanding it is basiclly the same, but ther seems to by a
    slight different. So is there a way to avoid xntpd setting the local
    time?

  11. Re: disable pll not working?

    "Stifi" wrote:

    > In my understanding it is basiclly the same, but ther seems to by a
    > slight different. So is there a way to avoid xntpd setting the local
    > time?

    I thought that what I suggested before would do that, i.e.

    disable pll
    server 127.127.1.0 prefer

    That's how I read the code of xntpd3-5.93e, and seems to be the same in
    OpenSolaris, see routine adj_host_clock() in

    http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xr...p_loopfilter.c

    The "Can't adjust time" error comes from sys_adjtime() in ../libntp/systime.c,
    which as I read it should not be called when the localclock is preferred.

    If this suggestion does not work, as you say, than presumably something
    more complicated is happening and I repeat what I said before: install
    a later version and use "disable ntp".

    --
    Ronan Flood

  12. Re: disable pll not working?

    Guys,

    As most folks know, I resist the urge to comment on NTPv3 (xntpd);
    however, I don't know where Yahoo or Youtube or Yazzam latched the
    information that enable/disable pll enables or disables the NTP clock
    discipline. In xntpd, it ONLY enables or disables the kernel discipline.
    In NTPv4 the enable/disable ntp command does enable and disable the
    clock discipline, both in the daemon AND the kernel.

    Dave

    Ronan Flood wrote:

    > "Stifi" wrote:
    >

    >>sorry, here once again the manpage section in a better readable format:
    >>
    >>pll enable
    >>Enables the server to adjust its local clock. If not set, the
    >>local clock free-runs at its intrinsic time and frequency
    >>offset. This flag is useful in case the local clock is
    >>controlled by some other device or protocol and NTP is used only to
    >>provide synchronization to other clients.

    > I believe this is known to be incorrect -- "disable pll" in xntpd tells
    > the daemon to discipline the system clock itself; "enable pll" tells the
    > daemon to use the kernel to discipline the system clock.

  13. Re: disable pll not working?

    Stifi,

    Wrong. Check the xntpd source code. The manpage is wrong; I don't know
    where it came from; not from me.

    You expose a prime example of why the authoritative NTPv4 source code
    and documentation come only from UDel; all other caches are not
    authoritative and in some cases have been modified in error. Who knows
    what other document errors are on those NTPv3 man pages.

    Dave

    Stifi wrote:

    > Richard, according the manpage of xntpd:
    >
    > pll enable Enables the server to adjust its
    > local clock. If not set,
    > the
    > local clock free-runs at
    > its
    > intrinsic time and
    > frequency
    > offset. This flag is useful
    > in
    > case the local clock is
    > con-
    > trolled by some other device
    > or
    > protocol and NTP is used only
    > provide synchronization to
    > other
    > clients.
    >
    > ...so disabling pll in the configuration of xntpd I would expect xntpd
    > no longer tries to set the time on the local system. Maybe I
    > misunderstand this option????
    >

    > Richard B. Gilbert schrieb:
    >

    >>Stifi wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hy there
    >>>I'm running a Zone on Solaris 10 which should provide xntpd services
    >>>for other servers. As I cannot set the system time in a zone I do so in
    >>>the globalzone using ntpdate.
    >>>

    >>If you can't set the time in a local zone, ntpd can't either!!
    >>
    >>Suggest you try running ntpd in the global zone.
    >>
    >>I don't understand what you are trying to do with disable pll, but see
    >>above!
    >>
    >>Also, you don't seem to have configured any internet servers or any
    >>hardware reference clock.
    >>
    >>If you are just trying to synchronize clocks with each other, suggest
    >>using rdate. If you really care about the correct time, configure ntpd
    >>to get time from a source traceable to an atomic clock!

  14. Re: disable pll not working?

    Stifi,

    Stifi wrote:
    > Hy there
    > I'm running a Zone on Solaris 10 which should provide xntpd services
    > for other servers. As I cannot set the system time in a zone I do so in
    > the globalzone using ntpdate.
    >
    > Here is the configuration (/etc/inet/ntp.conf):
    >
    > # Fall back to local clock
    > server 127.127.1.0
    > fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 9
    >
    > # misc settings
    > enable auth monitor
    > disable pll
    > driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift

    > statsdir /var/ntp/ntpstats/
    > filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable file loopstats type
    > day enable file clockstats type day enable

    AFAIK ntpd v4 only tries to adjust the clock if a reference time source has
    been configured which is not the local clock, and where it can pull time
    from, or if it detects a driftfile with some value in it.

    Since you have no other ref time source configured, ntpd is unable to pull
    the time from some upstream source.

    On the other hand you have configured a drift file, and if ntpd finds some
    drift value in that file it "thinks" it is a drift value it has determined
    before, and applies the corresponding drift compensation to the system
    time.

    Try to delete the drift file, and remove the "driftfile" entry from
    ntp.conf. No "enable/disable pll" entry should be required.

    I'm not sure whether this also applies to xntpd (v3).

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  15. Re: disable pll not working?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > If you are trying to serve your unsynchronized local clock, using NTP is
    > rather like using a Rolex watch to compensate for one leg of your desk
    > being an eighth of an inch shorter than the other three!!

    Humor is a very funny thing!! )

    Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread