Peer's stratum is less than Host's stratum - NTP

This is a discussion on Peer's stratum is less than Host's stratum - NTP ; Help! i got this message when trying to sync system clocks on win 2003. Using ethereal i see packets between client and server. Client is intruducing itself as Client but has Stratum 1 Server is intruducing itself as Server bu ...

  1. Peer's stratum is less than Host's stratum

    Help!

    i got this message when trying to sync system clocks on win 2003.

    Using ethereal i see packets between client and server.
    Client is intruducing itself as Client but has Stratum 1
    Server is intruducing itself as Server bu has Stratum 15
    We configured server with some NTP server tool that has reference to
    Local System time on server.

    Is it possible to force stratum on machine?

  2. Re: Peer's stratum is less than Host's stratum

    jjxjjx wrote:
    > Help!
    >
    > i got this message when trying to sync system clocks on win 2003.
    >
    > Using ethereal i see packets between client and server.
    > Client is intruducing itself as Client but has Stratum 1
    > Server is intruducing itself as Server bu has Stratum 15
    > We configured server with some NTP server tool that has reference to
    > Local System time on server.
    >

    > Is it possible to force stratum on machine?

    Your server has stratum 15 because it is not synchronized!! No idea why
    your client is claiming stratum 1; it should not be unless it is being
    synchronized by a hardware reference clock.

    NTP was not designed to synchronize clocks to each other. It was
    designed to synchronize clocks to UTC. That clients have the same time
    is a happy consequence of the postulate "things equal to the same thing
    are equal to each other"!

    The most recent version of ntpd supports an "orphan mode" for use in
    isolated networks. It don't know how to configure it; see the
    documentation (links at http://www.ntp.org/)

    If you insist on abusing the tool, the ready made "solution" is to
    configure your "server" as a client of the the "client" that is claiming
    stratum 1. Of course this will break if the "client" ever stops
    claiming a stratum it is not entitled to. And PLEASE do not connect
    this mess to the internet!!! (Somebody might believe that bogus stratum 1!)

  3. Re: Peer's stratum is less than Host's stratum

    In article <1165511202.941746.78800@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.co m>,
    jjxjjx wrote:

    > Subject: Peer's stratum is less than Host's stratum

    Peers are not the same as clients, and you shouldn't be configuring them
    unless you really know what you are doing.

    > i got this message when trying to sync system clocks on win 2003.

    In any case, I can't find this message anywhere in version 4.2.0 of the
    reference implemntation.

    Which implementations and versions are you using. Note that the
    service pack level of Windows 2003 is important if you are using W32Time.
    (Although, as the source code and detailed documentation for W32Time are
    not available outside Microsoft, they are the best people to ask about
    that implementation.)

    > Using ethereal i see packets between client and server.
    > Client is intruducing itself as Client but has Stratum 1

    That should only be true if it has a directly attached and working
    references clock, in which case it doesn't need an external server.
    Even the early versions of W32Time didn't start reporting a synchronised
    stratum until they had been synchronised once, and, even then, reported
    stratum 2 (regardless of the source!!!).

    Remove the reference clock from the configuration, or replace the
    client with a working NTP implementation.

    > Server is intruducing itself as Server bu has Stratum 15

    I think this is correctly synchronised to a stratum 14 reference clock,
    which is the most paranoid setting for the local clock driver. Assuming
    the network is only two levels, there is no valid reason for configuring
    the local clock with any better a stratum.

    > We configured server with some NTP server tool that has reference to
    > Local System time on server.

    What tool? What parameters did you use? Normally people configure the
    local clock by directly editing the configuration file, and are able
    to quote its contents here.

    > Is it possible to force stratum on machine?

    No, it is only possible to force the stratum on a reference clock, but
    you should never need to force the local clock to anything numerically
    lower than 15 minus the largest number of NTP network hops to a client.

    As has already been noted, many of the assumptions in NTP are based on
    the idea that time is eventually traceable to Universal Coordinated
    Time, rather than the random measure of time produced by some PC's clock.
    As such, using the local clock as a first choice source is never the
    best solution.

+ Reply to Thread