multicast configuration help - NTP

This is a discussion on multicast configuration help - NTP ; Hello All- I'm trying to help some coworkers troubleshoot the following problem. We have a NTP server and a client. They work toghther fine in UNICAST mode. When we try to run te client in multicast mode it works after ...

  1. multicast configuration help

    Hello All-

    I'm trying to help some coworkers troubleshoot the following problem.

    We have a NTP server and a client. They work toghther fine in UNICAST
    mode. When
    we try to run te client in multicast mode it works after ann intial
    echange(volley). One of the things we are trying to do is get the
    client to listen only. When we add novolley to the clinet ntp.conf
    file
    it does not form any assocations.

    Can any one direct me as to how to get a client to listen to a
    multicast group address without sending any traffic? I have attached
    the ntp.conf files for working and nono-working scenarios

    Thanks in advance

    Collins

    client: (Does not work)
    broadcastclient 224.0.1.1 novolley
    restrict 224.0.1.1 mask 255.255.255.255 notrust nomodify notrap
    disable auth
    driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    broadcastdelay 0.008
    logfile /var/ntp.log

    clientworks)
    multicastclient 224.0.1.1
    restrict 224.0.1.1 mask 255.255.255.255 notrust nomodify notrap
    disable auth
    driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    broadcastdelay 0.008
    logfile /var/ntp.log

    server:
    restrict 124.101.91.221 nomodify notrap noquery
    server 127.127.1.0 #local clock
    broadcast 224.0.1.1 ttl 5 #key 1 ttl 5
    disable auth
    driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    broadcastdelay 0.008
    authenticate no
    logfile /var/ntp.log
    keys /etc/ntp/keys

    This is the output when it does not work.
    # ntpq -np
    input_handler: fd=4 length 12 from 7f000001 127.0.0.1
    receive from 127.0.0.1
    in process_control()
    opcode 1, found command handler
    read_status: ID 0
    sendpkt(fd=4 127.0.0.1, 127.0.0.1, ttl=-6, 12)
    No association ID's returned

  2. Re: multicast configuration help

+ Reply to Thread