Time synchronization on an autonomous isolated network - NTP

This is a discussion on Time synchronization on an autonomous isolated network - NTP ; I have a network from 4 to 8 PC's of which the time needs to be synchronized. There is no external reliable time source available. In principal all PC's should all have a time around the wall clock time before ...

  1. Time synchronization on an autonomous isolated network

    I have a network from 4 to 8 PC's of which the time needs to be
    synchronized. There is no external reliable time source available. In
    principal all PC's should all have a time around
    the wall clock time before being connected on the network. In any case the
    initial time deltas should be less then 5 minutes.

    If all the PC's are booted, they should after a (short) time be
    synchronized. The initial time adjustments don't need to be slewed. If there
    is one PC
    with a bad clock, I want to avoid that the other PC's get the time of the
    bad clock.
    All this should be configured in such a way that no administrator
    intervention is required. The network should determine itself with which
    PC's they want to synchronize the time.

    I know that the time drift in such networks can be considerable, but this is
    not really an issue. I'm more concerned about the fact that when booting all
    the PC's at the same time all the PC's get a synchronized time which is
    reasonable, even if there is 1 PC with a bad clock and this within a
    reasonable timeframe (less then 10 minutes).

    Is it possible to configure NTP in such a way that the requirements
    listed above can be met?

    Thanks a lot for the advice.

  2. Re: Time synchronization on an autonomous isolated network

    In article ,
    "jwm " wrote:

    > All this should be configured in such a way that no administrator
    > intervention is required. The network should determine itself with which
    > PC's they want to synchronize the time.

    > Is it possible to configure NTP in such a way that the requirements
    > listed above can be met?

    Your requirement seem to be for the timed protocol, not for the NTP
    protocol. I believe that there have been some recent enhancements to
    the daemon code to support isolated, consensus building, time islands,
    but I'm not sufficiently familiar with them to know whether they will meet
    all your requirements, and I don't know if they are in the latest Windows
    binary ports (this is a difficult group on which to guess platforms as
    both Windows and Red Hat users assume everyone else uses the same system
    as them - most people who answer here use neither for their time
    synchonisation platform).

    NTP was designed on the basis that there is one true time.

+ Reply to Thread