War stories from a NTP server manufacturer - NTP

This is a discussion on War stories from a NTP server manufacturer - NTP ; http://www.5starsnews.com/email-marketing/1115607.htm...

  1. War stories from a NTP server manufacturer

  2. Re: War stories from an NTP server manufacturer's marketing executive (Was: War stories from a NTP server manufacturer)

    "Marc Brett" wrote in message

    > http://www.5starsnews.com/email-marketing/1115607.htm

    I had expected a little more NTP in the war stories.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  3. Re: War stories from an NTP server manufacturer's marketing executive

    Maarten Wiltink wrote:
    > "Marc Brett" wrote in message
    >

    >>http://www.5starsnews.com/email-marketing/1115607.htm

    > I had expected a little more NTP in the war stories.

    NTP was the WMD equivalent in this "war effort" story.

    > Groetjes,
    > Maarten Wiltink

    uwe

  4. Re: War stories from an NTP server manufacturer's marketing executive

    Uwe,

    WMD? Once upon a time the NTP software distribution included a Digital
    Encryption Standard (DES) routine, which required the DoD and Commerce
    Department to certify it for export outside the US and Canada under the
    International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). NTP was in effect
    considered a munition. The Commerce Department required an export
    license for each and every export instance. This was the main reason DES
    was dropped in favor of MD5.

    ITAR was eventually overtaken by something else, so now an export
    license is no longer required.

    Thought you might enjoy that.

    Dave

    Uwe Klein wrote:
    > Maarten Wiltink wrote:
    >
    >> "Marc Brett" wrote in message
    >>

    >>> http://www.5starsnews.com/email-marketing/1115607.htm

    >> I had expected a little more NTP in the war stories.

    > NTP was the WMD equivalent in this "war effort" story.
    >

    >> Groetjes,
    >> Maarten Wiltink

    > uwe

+ Reply to Thread