How init process will call the SNTP client software? - NTP

This is a discussion on How init process will call the SNTP client software? - NTP ; Hi groop, I want to know the "How init(Linux) process will call the SNTP client software?" Plese share with me if you have any thing know about this....

  1. How init process will call the SNTP client software?

    Hi groop,

    I want to know the "How init(Linux) process will call the SNTP client
    software?"

    Plese share with me if you have any thing know about this.

  2. Re: How init process will call the SNTP client software?

    "Brahma" wrote in message
    news:1162803529.429955.140100@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
    [...]
    > I want to know the "How init(Linux) process will call the SNTP client
    > software?"

    If you want init to run it, put it in inittab ('man inittab').
    But generally, you don't want to do that. Much too low-level.

    Most people would run it from cron, putting it in crontab
    ('man crontab'). Cron is one of those things that Just Run.

    Ntpd (the full daemon) is another of those things that just run,
    on my systems. There's a somewhat elaborate system of starting
    daemons and subsystems for the applicable runlevel, starting with
    the /etc/rc.d/rc script run from inittab - in the fairly old Red
    Hat versions I have: on System V-style systems, it always looks
    somewhat like that, but the exact implementation varies.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

+ Reply to Thread