Can time sync occur every 30 mins? - NTP

This is a discussion on Can time sync occur every 30 mins? - NTP ; What is the maximum period value for: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\ Parameters\period I set it to 2880 for the time sync to occur ever 30mins (24x60x2), but the time only synchronises every 8 hours in event logs. Is it possible for ...

  1. Can time sync occur every 30 mins?

    What is the maximum period value for:
    HKEY LOCAL
    MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\ Parameters\period

    I set it to 2880 for the time sync to occur ever 30mins (24x60x2), but
    the time only synchronises every 8 hours in event logs.
    Is it possible for it to sync more often than every 8 hours?

    SBS2000, NTP.
    Thanks
    Nick

  2. Re: Can time sync occur every 30 mins?

    nicough@gmail.com wrote:

    > What is the maximum period value for:
    > HKEY LOCAL
    > MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\ Parameters\period
    >
    > I set it to 2880 for the time sync to occur ever 30mins (24x60x2), but
    > the time only synchronises every 8 hours in event logs.
    > Is it possible for it to sync more often than every 8 hours?
    >
    > SBS2000, NTP.
    > Thanks
    > Nick

    You will have to ask Microsoft that question. It's a Microsoft product.

    There are two Windows builds of the reference implementation of ntpd;
    either one should give you much better synchronization than W32TIME.
    Ntpd will query its servers at intervals ranging between 64 seconds and
    1024 seconds. The daemon adjusts the interval automatically to the best
    value for current conditions.

    See http://norloff.org/ntp/ or http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm
    The latter version comes with a Windows installer. I have not used
    either version and so can't tell you much about them except that either
    should perform better than W32TIME!!!!

    If you decide to try one of these, your should plan on configuring at
    least four timeservers for best performance.

    See http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome for lists of publicly
    available time servers and "rules of engagement".

  3. Re: Can time sync occur every 30 mins?

    Thanks for the links, very helpful to understand how NTP works.

    Does anyone know whether Windows 2000 or Server 2003 is capable of
    synchronising more often than every 8 hours, using w32time?

    Thanks
    Nick

  4. Re: Can time sync occur every 30 mins?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    []
    > See http://norloff.org/ntp/ or
    > http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm The latter version comes
    > with a Windows installer. I have not used either version and so
    > can't tell you much about them except that either should perform
    > better than W32TIME!!!!

    Typical performance is shown in the bottom 5 graphs here:

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

    You can click on a graph to see weekly, monthly and yearly data.

    OP: sorry, but I can't help with the w32time question as I no longer run
    that software, but the Meinberg port listed above.

    Cheers,
    David

  5. Re: Can time sync occur every 30 mins?

    nicough@gmail.com wrote:
    > Does anyone know whether Windows 2000 or Server 2003 is capable of
    > synchronising more often than every 8 hours, using w32time?

    It is, but it is not simple to configure. Look in the list archives for
    examples of conifguring the windows time service for use on public NTP
    networks. Included there are links to Microsoft's detailed
    documentation on the Windows Time Service.

    What are your requirements? Just to keep better time? Why once every
    1/2 hour?

    Generally, you'll want to use a configuration command like this:

    w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"0.us.pool.ntp.org,0x8
    1.us.pool.ntp.org,0x8 2.us.pool.ntp.org,0x8" /syncfromflags:MANUAL
    /update

    That ",0x8" after each server tells Windows Time Service to choose the
    best synchronization interval itself, based on the performance of your
    clock and/orn network connection.

    Also, please note that the windows time service only makes event log
    entries when a new time srouce is selected, plus an informational entry
    once every X hours. It will not make a log entry for "small
    corrections", even if they are more frequent. This logging behavior can
    also be changed with registry entries or group policies (see Microsoft
    documentation).,

  6. Re: Can time sync occur every 30 mins?

    I have installed this NTP software, and it works very well. And can act
    as an NTP server
    http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

    Thanks everyone.
    Nick

  7. Re: Can time sync occur every 30 mins?

    nicough@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have installed this NTP software, and it works very well. And can
    > act as an NTP server
    > http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm
    >
    > Thanks everyone.
    > Nick

    That's good news, Nick.
    Join the happy club of accurate (we hope) timekeepers!

    David

+ Reply to Thread