Can ntpd run on multiple udp ports? - NTP

This is a discussion on Can ntpd run on multiple udp ports? - NTP ; Hello All, Our network engineer wants me to setup ntpd to run on multiple service ports. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do this? And if so how? Thanks in advance, George Cebulka Senior System Administrator University ...

  1. Can ntpd run on multiple udp ports?

    Hello All,
    Our network engineer wants me to setup ntpd to run on multiple
    service ports. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do this? And if
    so how?

    Thanks in advance,
    George Cebulka
    Senior System Administrator
    University of Pittsburgh

  2. Re: Can ntpd run on multiple udp ports?

    George wrote:
    > Hello All,
    > Our network engineer wants me to setup ntpd to run on multiple
    > service ports. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do this? And if
    > so how?

    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. If you are asking
    whether or not you can use a port different from port 123/UDP the answer
    is no. If you are asking something else, please explain what you mean.

    Danny

    > Thanks in advance,
    > George Cebulka
    > Senior System Administrator
    > University of Pittsburgh

  3. Re: Can ntpd run on multiple udp ports?

    George wrote:

    > Hello All,
    > Our network engineer wants me to setup ntpd to run on multiple
    > service ports. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do this? And if
    > so how?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > George Cebulka
    > Senior System Administrator
    > University of Pittsburgh

    I don't think so. Not without a LOT of work. NTP uses port 123.
    (Period). You send your request to port 123 on the server and you get
    your answer back from port 123 on the server.

    What problem is your "network engineer" trying to solve?

+ Reply to Thread