Using a Symmetricomm 1100 as a reference clock? - NTP

This is a discussion on Using a Symmetricomm 1100 as a reference clock? - NTP ; We currently have a Symmetricom TimeProvider 1100 providing timing to our Class 5 Siemens Voice Switch. It's highly accurate and and I'm wondering if I couldn't use that also as a clock source for my ntp server. I called Symmetricom ...

  1. Using a Symmetricomm 1100 as a reference clock?

    We currently have a Symmetricom TimeProvider 1100 providing timing
    to our Class 5 Siemens Voice Switch. It's highly accurate and and
    I'm wondering if I couldn't use that also as a clock source for my
    ntp server.

    I called Symmetricom and they want to sell me an "upgrade" to allow
    me to do NTP out of the box. That just seems silly to me. It does
    have LOTS of ports out the back that I'm thinking I could wire to
    some DB9 connector and plugin to our NTP server?

    Checking the reference clock drivers section I don't see mention of
    this box. Does that mean I'm out of luck? Seems crazy that my
    multi-thousand dollar "time source" can't provide clocking to my IP
    network.

    Scott

  2. Re: Using a Symmetricomm 1100 as a reference clock?

    Scott Baker schrieb:
    > We currently have a Symmetricom TimeProvider 1100 providing timing
    > to our Class 5 Siemens Voice Switch. It's highly accurate and and
    > I'm wondering if I couldn't use that also as a clock source for my
    > ntp server.
    >
    > I called Symmetricom and they want to sell me an "upgrade" to allow
    > me to do NTP out of the box. That just seems silly to me. It does
    > have LOTS of ports out the back that I'm thinking I could wire to
    > some DB9 connector and plugin to our NTP server?
    >
    > Checking the reference clock drivers section I don't see mention of
    > this box. Does that mean I'm out of luck? Seems crazy that my
    > multi-thousand dollar "time source" can't provide clocking to my IP
    > network.

    You should check if it can output a time string somehow, I am pretty
    sure it will have some sort of PPS coming out of it, so if you get a
    time string and a PPS, you have a good chance to find a compatible driver.

    Best regards,
    Heiko

    > Scott

  3. Re: Using a Symmetricomm 1100 as a reference clock?

    Scott Baker wrote:
    > Checking the reference clock drivers section I don't see mention of
    > this box. Does that mean I'm out of luck? Seems crazy that my
    > multi-thousand dollar "time source" can't provide clocking to my IP
    > network.

    As the other person said, it should have at least a PPS output. If it
    doesn't output any sort of other serial data, you can configure NTP to
    use a server over the network as your 'prefer' source (to get the
    date/time), and then the PPS signal for the fine timing.

    Worst case you could open it up and start probing around with an
    oscilloscope.

+ Reply to Thread