W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM - NTP

This is a discussion on W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM - NTP ; Hi Guys, I have a customer who has problems with synchronizing a Windows 2003 Server (SP2) with one of our NTP Servers (runs NTPv4). Anyone who has successfully managed to sync her/his W2003 box with a V4 ntpd and who ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Hi Guys,

    I have a customer who has problems with synchronizing a Windows 2003
    Server (SP2) with one of our NTP Servers (runs NTPv4).

    Anyone who has successfully managed to sync her/his W2003 box with a V4
    ntpd and who could give me some hints regarding the correct
    configuration? Some kind of registry export would be nice, I could
    compare such a thing with the one I have from the customers server...

    Oh, before you ask: No, it is not possible to install "real" NTP-stuff
    on that machine, I cannot get any Ethereal dump or have other diagnostic
    possibilities. All I know is that according to the eventlog W32TM is
    trying to synchronize, fails a couple of times and gives up. It then
    marks itself "unsynchronized" and all clients are free running like hell.

    .... and yes, I asked Microsoft as well but did not receive a reply so far...

    Thanks in advance,
    Heiko

    MEINBERG Radio Clocks
    www.meinberg.de

    IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.

  2. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Heiko Gerstung wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I have a customer who has problems with synchronizing a Windows 2003
    > Server (SP2) with one of our NTP Servers (runs NTPv4).
    >
    > Anyone who has successfully managed to sync her/his W2003 box with a V4
    > ntpd and who could give me some hints regarding the correct
    > configuration? Some kind of registry export would be nice, I could
    > compare such a thing with the one I have from the customers server...
    >
    > Oh, before you ask: No, it is not possible to install "real" NTP-stuff
    > on that machine, I cannot get any Ethereal dump or have other diagnostic
    > possibilities. All I know is that according to the eventlog W32TM is
    > trying to synchronize, fails a couple of times and gives up. It then
    > marks itself "unsynchronized" and all clients are free running like hell.
    >
    > ... and yes, I asked Microsoft as well but did not receive a reply so
    > far...
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Heiko

    I have successfully used the procedure given in the Brandolini and Green
    white paper: "The Windows Time Service" on W2K and WXP. Sorry, I
    don't have W2K3 to play with.

    net time /setsntp:
    net start w32time

    I believe that Microsoft generally does NOT reply unless you PAY them.

  3. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I have a customer who has problems with synchronizing a Windows 2003
    > Server (SP2) with one of our NTP Servers (runs NTPv4).

    There is no SP2 for W2K3, at least not yet.

    > Anyone who has successfully managed to sync her/his W2003 box with a V4
    > ntpd and who could give me some hints regarding the correct
    > configuration? Some kind of registry export would be nice, I could
    > compare such a thing with the one I have from the customers server...

    Are you asking about running ntpd on Windows 2003 or changing where
    w32time looks to get its NTP packets?

    > Oh, before you ask: No, it is not possible to install "real" NTP-stuff
    > on that machine, I cannot get any Ethereal dump or have other diagnostic
    > possibilities. All I know is that according to the eventlog W32TM is
    > trying to synchronize, fails a couple of times and gives up. It then
    > marks itself "unsynchronized" and all clients are free running like hell.

    I'll check when I get home as I am running W2k3 on my home machine. What
    exactly is the issue?

    > ... and yes, I asked Microsoft as well but did not receive a reply so
    > far...

    Time will tell?

    Danny
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Heiko

  4. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> I have a customer who has problems with synchronizing a Windows 2003
    >> Server (SP2) with one of our NTP Servers (runs NTPv4).
    >>

    > There is no SP2 for W2K3, at least not yet.

    OK, hopefully they told me the right OS after all :-)

    >> Anyone who has successfully managed to sync her/his W2003 box with a V4
    >> ntpd and who could give me some hints regarding the correct
    >> configuration? Some kind of registry export would be nice, I could
    >> compare such a thing with the one I have from the customers server...
    >>

    > Are you asking about running ntpd on Windows 2003 or changing where
    > w32time looks to get its NTP packets?

    Configuration of W32TM to use an NTP server for synchronization.

    >> Oh, before you ask: No, it is not possible to install "real" NTP-stuff
    >> on that machine, I cannot get any Ethereal dump or have other diagnostic
    >> possibilities. All I know is that according to the eventlog W32TM is
    >> trying to synchronize, fails a couple of times and gives up. It then
    >> marks itself "unsynchronized" and all clients are free running like hell.
    >>

    > I'll check when I get home as I am running W2k3 on my home machine. What
    > exactly is the issue?

    I currently have no access to the logs or machine (security
    restrictions), but I will try to get more details. In the meantime,
    would you be able to configure W32TM on your machine to use an NTP
    server to sync and send me the corresponding registry branch export
    containing the settings via mail? Only if you get it going, of course :-)

    >> ... and yes, I asked Microsoft as well but did not receive a reply so
    >> far...
    >>

    > Time will tell?

    Hah! :-)

    Best regards,
    Heiko

    > Danny
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Heiko

  5. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> I have a customer who has problems with synchronizing a Windows 2003
    >> Server (SP2) with one of our NTP Servers (runs NTPv4).
    >>
    >> Anyone who has successfully managed to sync her/his W2003 box with a
    >> V4 ntpd and who could give me some hints regarding the correct
    >> configuration? Some kind of registry export would be nice, I could
    >> compare such a thing with the one I have from the customers server...
    >>
    >> Oh, before you ask: No, it is not possible to install "real" NTP-stuff
    >> on that machine, I cannot get any Ethereal dump or have other
    >> diagnostic possibilities. All I know is that according to the
    >> eventlog W32TM is trying to synchronize, fails a couple of times and
    >> gives up. It then marks itself "unsynchronized" and all clients are
    >> free running like hell.
    >>
    >> ... and yes, I asked Microsoft as well but did not receive a reply so
    >> far...
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Heiko
    >>

    > I have successfully used the procedure given in the Brandolini and Green
    > white paper: "The Windows Time Service" on W2K and WXP. Sorry, I don't
    > have W2K3 to play with.
    >
    > net time /setsntp:
    > net start w32time

    That is exactly what does not seem to work.

    > I believe that Microsoft generally does NOT reply unless you PAY them.

    We have a few contacts to MS support, they come and ask us about our
    products when their customers want to use them and we never charged them
    a buck for this (I know, I know, that doesn't make a big difference ...)..

    Thanks for your help,

    best regards,
    Heiko

  6. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >>Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Guys,
    >>>
    >>>I have a customer who has problems with synchronizing a Windows 2003
    >>>Server (SP2) with one of our NTP Servers (runs NTPv4).
    >>>
    >>>Anyone who has successfully managed to sync her/his W2003 box with a
    >>>V4 ntpd and who could give me some hints regarding the correct
    >>>configuration? Some kind of registry export would be nice, I could
    >>>compare such a thing with the one I have from the customers server...
    >>>
    >>>Oh, before you ask: No, it is not possible to install "real" NTP-stuff
    >>>on that machine, I cannot get any Ethereal dump or have other
    >>>diagnostic possibilities. All I know is that according to the
    >>>eventlog W32TM is trying to synchronize, fails a couple of times and
    >>>gives up. It then marks itself "unsynchronized" and all clients are
    >>>free running like hell.
    >>>
    >>>... and yes, I asked Microsoft as well but did not receive a reply so
    >>>far...
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance,
    >>>Heiko
    >>>

    >>I have successfully used the procedure given in the Brandolini and Green
    >> white paper: "The Windows Time Service" on W2K and WXP. Sorry, I don't
    >>have W2K3 to play with.
    >>
    >>net time /setsntp:
    >>net start w32time

    > That is exactly what does not seem to work.
    >

    >>I believe that Microsoft generally does NOT reply unless you PAY them.

    > We have a few contacts to MS support, they come and ask us about our
    > products when their customers want to use them and we never charged them
    > a buck for this (I know, I know, that doesn't make a big difference ...)..
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > best regards,
    > Heiko

    Here's a link you might find helpful.
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...e-Service.html

    and another,

  7. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 07:01:46 +0200, Heiko Gerstung wrote:

    > I currently have no access to the logs or machine (security
    > restrictions), but I will try to get more details. In the meantime,
    > would you be able to configure W32TM on your machine to use an NTP
    > server to sync and send me the corresponding registry branch export
    > containing the settings via mail? Only if you get it going, of course :-)

    I have to deal every day with three groups of anal retentives, who all
    have security in their department titles.

    We have project managers give them an ultimatum. If we do not have
    sufficient access to install, configure and support software for which we
    are being paid by the same customers who are paying them to provide
    security, we will will not provide any installation, configuration or
    support whatsoever.

    --
    2006/10/04:13:25:23UTC Slackware Linux 2.4.32

  8. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Hi all,

    I've tested a W2k3 box time synchronization by setting the server using
    the command line:

    net time /setsntp:time.usv.ro
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

    As a result, when checking another server (i.e. time.microsoft.com)
    from the list box, I obtain an timeout error messages. Only the server
    time.usv.ro works fine. The experiment is the same with any other ntp
    server (I've tried many public servers).

    Before typing the "net time ..." command all servers from the initial
    list (time.microsoft.com; time.nist.gov, etc.) worked fine.

  9. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Eugen COCA wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've tested a W2k3 box time synchronization by setting the server using
    > the command line:
    >
    > net time /setsntp:time.usv.ro
    > net stop w32time
    > net start w32time
    >
    > As a result, when checking another server (i.e. time.microsoft.com)
    > from the list box, I obtain an timeout error messages. Only the server
    > time.usv.ro works fine. The experiment is the same with any other ntp
    > server (I've tried many public servers).

    First off, are you sure NTP packets aren't being firewalled from your
    usv.ro domain? The fact that you can reach an internal time server, but
    no external ones, leads me to believe that is most likely the case.

    Second, you should really be using the "w32tm /configure" command, as
    the NET TIME command is an alterantive interface provided only for
    backward compatibility with previous windows versions. NET TIME doesn't
    have nearly as many options. You can also use the Group Policy GUI to
    make these settings.

    Also make sure you use "time.usv.ro,0x8" when you specify a time
    servers. The ",0x8" at the end of the hostname tells the windows time
    service to be a client of the specified server, rather than request
    symmetric-active connections (which may be blocked by some time servers
    out there). You can specify multiple servers by separating them with
    spaces and enclosing the whole list in double qoutation marks.

    For all of the details, see:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...6e2101033.mspx

    You can test connectivity via NTP to any server by using the command:
    w32tm /monitor /computers:ro.pool.ntp.org
    This example tests the romanian NTP pool. If that reports no time
    received from the server, then NTP packets are being blocked "upstream"
    from you.

  10. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    No, before making the modifications ALL external servers worked fine:
    time.microsoft.com, time.nist.gov, etc. - all of them.

  11. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Eugen COCA wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've tested a W2k3 box time synchronization by setting the server using
    > the command line:
    >
    > net time /setsntp:time.usv.ro
    > net stop w32time
    > net start w32time

    The fact that you had to stop and start the service indicates how badly
    the net time interface was written. It doesn't take much to write code
    update information in the registry and then notify the service to go
    reread it and act accordingly.

    > As a result, when checking another server (i.e. time.microsoft.com)
    > from the list box, I obtain an timeout error messages. Only the server
    > time.usv.ro works fine. The experiment is the same with any other ntp
    > server (I've tried many public servers).
    >
    > Before typing the "net time ..." command all servers from the initial
    > list (time.microsoft.com; time.nist.gov, etc.) worked fine.

    If it was working before why wouldn't it work now? I know, that's a
    question for Microsoft.

    Danny

  12. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > Eugen COCA wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've tested a W2k3 box time synchronization by setting the server
    >> using the command line:
    >>
    >> net time /setsntp:time.usv.ro
    >> net stop w32time
    >> net start w32time

    > The fact that you had to stop and start the service indicates how
    > badly the net time interface was written. It doesn't take much to
    > write code update information in the registry and then notify the
    > service to go reread it and act accordingly.

    In my previous experience with the w32time service, there was no need to
    restart it to read the new data, and make it set the time. I think you
    may be reading too much into Eugen's batch file, but I'd be interested to
    hear from him.

    David

  13. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Danny Mayer schrieb:
    > Eugen COCA wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've tested a W2k3 box time synchronization by setting the server using
    >> the command line:
    >>
    >> net time /setsntp:time.usv.ro
    >> net stop w32time
    >> net start w32time

    > The fact that you had to stop and start the service indicates how badly
    > the net time interface was written. It doesn't take much to write code
    > update information in the registry and then notify the service to go
    > reread it and act accordingly.

    Is this possible with ntpd? I mean, applying changes to ntp.conf and
    then tell the daemon/service to re-read its configuration file? I would
    really love to see such a feature ... :-)

    >> As a result, when checking another server (i.e. time.microsoft.com)
    >> from the list box, I obtain an timeout error messages. Only the server
    >> time.usv.ro works fine. The experiment is the same with any other ntp
    >> server (I've tried many public servers).
    >>
    >> Before typing the "net time ..." command all servers from the initial
    >> list (time.microsoft.com; time.nist.gov, etc.) worked fine.
    >>

    > If it was working before why wouldn't it work now? I know, that's a
    > question for Microsoft.

    They are still trying to figure out why it worked ;-)

    Best regards,
    Heiko

    > Danny

    MEINBERG Radio Clocks
    www.meinberg.de

    IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.

  14. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    > Danny Mayer schrieb:
    >> Eugen COCA wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I've tested a W2k3 box time synchronization by setting the server using
    >>> the command line:
    >>>
    >>> net time /setsntp:time.usv.ro
    >>> net stop w32time
    >>> net start w32time

    >> The fact that you had to stop and start the service indicates how badly
    >> the net time interface was written. It doesn't take much to write code
    >> update information in the registry and then notify the service to go
    >> reread it and act accordingly.

    > Is this possible with ntpd? I mean, applying changes to ntp.conf and
    > then tell the daemon/service to re-read its configuration file? I would
    > really love to see such a feature ... :-)

    It's much harder to do with ntpd. Writing and reading registry bits is
    easy. ntpd has to deal with a lot of different platforms, but yes it is
    one of the things we would like to implement.

    >> If it was working before why wouldn't it work now? I know, that's a
    >> question for Microsoft.

    > They are still trying to figure out why it worked ;-)

    Microsoft is?

    Danny

  15. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Danny Mayer wrote:

    > Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    >
    >>Danny Mayer schrieb:

    >>>The fact that you had to stop and start the service indicates how badly
    >>>the net time interface was written. It doesn't take much to write code
    >>>update information in the registry and then notify the service to go
    >>>reread it and act accordingly.

    >>Is this possible with ntpd? I mean, applying changes to ntp.conf and
    >>then tell the daemon/service to re-read its configuration file? I would
    >>really love to see such a feature ... :-)
    >>

    > It's much harder to do with ntpd. Writing and reading registry bits is
    > easy. ntpd has to deal with a lot of different platforms, but yes it is
    > one of the things we would like to implement.

    It could be fone for the Unix/Linux platforms. Send SIGHUP to the
    daemon, the daemon catches the signal, rereads the configuration file
    and starts making changes! Other platforms may not have an equivalent
    mechanism. I don't think Windows does and I'm pretty sure that VMS does
    not have a standard mechanism for this either.

    OTOH, you can use ntpdc to make changes on the fly. . . .

  16. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > OTOH, you can use ntpdc to make changes on the fly. . . .

    Ntpdc has no support for many configuration options. The iburst option
    on server lines, for example. The -4 option is another example.

  17. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > The fact that you had to stop and start the service indicates how badly
    > the net time interface was written. It doesn't take much to write code
    > update information in the registry and then notify the service to go
    > reread it and act accordingly.

    This is probably why the NET TIME interface was deprecated in 2001
    (WinXP) and replaced with:
    w32tm /configure /update

    There is also a w32tm /resync command which instructs the service to
    discard all previously calculated drift values and "start fresh".
    Neither of these requires a service restart.

    You'll notice that the more recent Windows Time Service documentation
    (see link in previous messages) from MSFT doesn't even mention the NET
    TIME command, which has been deprecated since the release of Windows XP
    in 2001. NET TIME was originally designed for the Windows 95-era SMB
    time protocol, which has nothing to do with NTP. Extending it for use
    with (S)NTP was a bad choice, which Microsoft has at least tried to
    correct.

    W32TIME isn't perfect (the 2^-6 precision is troubling), but it is
    mostly NTPv3 compliant in recent releases with proper configuration.
    The diagnostics aren't sufficient, and configuration could be easier.
    But at least they point to Microsoft's own time.windows.com servers by
    default, limiting the impact of users simply ignoring it. In any case,
    W32TIME in XP and later is a significant improvement over the Windows
    2000-era version of "broken" SNTP.

  18. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Richard B. Gilbert schrieb:
    > Danny Mayer wrote:
    >
    >> Heiko Gerstung wrote:

    >>> Is this possible with ntpd? I mean, applying changes to ntp.conf and
    >>> then tell the daemon/service to re-read its configuration file? I would
    >>> really love to see such a feature ... :-)
    >>>

    >> It's much harder to do with ntpd. Writing and reading registry bits is
    >> easy. ntpd has to deal with a lot of different platforms, but yes it is
    >> one of the things we would like to implement.
    >>

    > It could be fone for the Unix/Linux platforms. Send SIGHUP to the
    > daemon, the daemon catches the signal, rereads the configuration file
    > and starts making changes! Other platforms may not have an equivalent
    > mechanism. I don't think Windows does and I'm pretty sure that VMS does
    > not have a standard mechanism for this either.

    Maybe it would be an option to simply use ntpdc to issue a "reload
    config" command on those platforms that do not support the signal events?

    > OTOH, you can use ntpdc to make changes on the fly. . . .

    Yep, but it would be nice to stick with one interface (configuration
    file). Basically I would say that you might be able to get rid of ntpdc
    when you replace it with a piece of software that would cause ntpd to
    reload its config file. This way you would support all possible
    configuration parameters and do not run into trouble due to incompatible
    mode 7 packet formats.

    For remote configurations, I could imagine that this "ntpcc" ("NTP
    Change Configuration") tool can send a new config file remotely to the
    NTP daemon, just like this

    # ntpcc 172.16.3.2 my_new_ntp.conf

    And, while we are in dream mode(tm), I would also like ntpd to have a
    sophisticated "re-parse config file" feature that finds out what has
    changed and tries to keep the carefully collected statistics and the
    math when possible. So, if you only want to add a server, you can just
    insert the "server x.y.z.a iburst" line into your ntp.conf and then fire
    up ntpcc which causes ntpd to _not_ throw away all filter data for each
    already configured association but simply sets up a new one for the new
    server.

    To simplify the handling, a few quite popular commands could be handled
    via command line parameters, like adding/removing associations or
    switching logging on/off or ... you name it ...

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooooosh!

    Wow! I already feel the "if you want it, do it yourself" replies aimed
    at my poor little head :-)

    Well, maybe one day ...

    Best regards,
    Heiko

    MEINBERG Radio Clocks
    www.meinberg.de

    IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.

  19. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Danny,

    The recent rewrite of the configuration code allows configuration
    commands to be given via ntpq. Unfortunately, the programmer maintaining
    that version is no longer available and a volunteer has not appeared.
    There is a good deal of neat stuff in that version, but I do not at this
    time have spare bandwidth.

    Dave

    Danny Mayer wrote:

    > Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    >
    >>Danny Mayer schrieb:

    >>>The fact that you had to stop and start the service indicates how badly
    >>>the net time interface was written. It doesn't take much to write code
    >>>update information in the registry and then notify the service to go
    >>>reread it and act accordingly.

    >>Is this possible with ntpd? I mean, applying changes to ntp.conf and
    >>then tell the daemon/service to re-read its configuration file? I would
    >>really love to see such a feature ... :-)
    >>

    > It's much harder to do with ntpd. Writing and reading registry bits is
    > easy. ntpd has to deal with a lot of different platforms, but yes it is
    > one of the things we would like to implement.
    >

    >>>If it was working before why wouldn't it work now? I know, that's a
    >>>question for Microsoft.

    >>They are still trying to figure out why it worked ;-)

    > Microsoft is?
    >
    > Danny

  20. Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Danny Mayer wrote:
    >
    >> Heiko Gerstung wrote:

    >>> Is this possible with ntpd? I mean, applying changes to ntp.conf and
    >>> then tell the daemon/service to re-read its configuration file? I would
    >>> really love to see such a feature ... :-)
    >>>

    >> It's much harder to do with ntpd. Writing and reading registry bits is
    >> easy. ntpd has to deal with a lot of different platforms, but yes it is
    >> one of the things we would like to implement.
    >>

    > It could be fone for the Unix/Linux platforms. Send SIGHUP to the
    > daemon, the daemon catches the signal, rereads the configuration file
    > and starts making changes!

    Absolutely not. We don't want to do interrupts. That's the old Unixy way
    of doing things and it's really not the right thing to do. The proper
    thing to do is to write a proper interface (like we have with ntpdc) and
    write commands to the server, suitably securely. This allows a lot more
    flexibility to issue commands, get respones and be able to do it
    remotely. TCP port 123 is reserved for NTP and we can take advantage of
    it. This should work similarly to the way that BIND 9's rndc works today
    and we could in fact probably use much of the code from it.

    Other platforms may not have an equivalent
    > mechanism. I don't think Windows does and I'm pretty sure that VMS does
    > not have a standard mechanism for this either.

    You want the same mechanism on all platforms. Anything else is madness.

    Danny