- my time server cannot sync - NTP

This is a discussion on - my time server cannot sync - NTP ; Greetings, I am using NTP on a Red Hat 7.3 system (HP DL 380 hardware). I would like to sync to a free Internet time server (time.kfki.hu). When I check the time server (ntpdate –d servername) everything is fine (example: ...

  1. - my time server cannot sync

    Greetings,

    I am using NTP on a Red Hat 7.3 system (HP DL 380 hardware). I would like to
    sync to a free Internet time server (time.kfki.hu). When I check the time
    server (ntpdate –d servername) everything is fine (example: stratum 2,
    offset 0,003564 etc), and if I sync to this server (ntpdate servername) then
    the sync is okay. But, if I run ntpq program, with –p switch, then the
    remote time server stratum field is 16.

    After the ntpdate command is successful, I restart the ntpd daemon on local
    machine, the daemon is polling the remote time server, but cannot sync, and
    the offset is growing.

    I checked the firewall settings, the udp 123 port allow inbound-outbound
    communications, and I see this communications in a log –file.

    Sorry for my English!

    Áron Oláh

  2. Re: - my time server cannot sync

    Oláh Áron wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >

    > I am using NTP on a Red Hat 7.3 system (HP DL 380 hardware). I would like to
    > sync to a free Internet time server (time.kfki.hu). When I check the time
    > server (ntpdate –d servername) everything is fine (example: stratum 2,
    > offset 0,003564 etc), and if I sync to this server (ntpdate servername) then
    > the sync is okay. But, if I run ntpq program, with –p switch, then the
    > remote time server stratum field is 16.

    Please post the full output of ntpq -p. Something is wrong but with
    only the information you have supplied, we can only guess at what the
    problem might be.

    Issue ntpq -p after ntpd has been running for at least fifteen minutes.
    Thirty minutes would be better. You might also post the contents of
    your ntp.conf file.

  3. Re: - my time server cannot sync

    On 2006-09-15, Oláh Áron wrote:

    > After the ntpdate command is successful, I restart the ntpd daemon on local
    > machine, the daemon is polling [time.kfki.hu], but cannot sync, and
    > the offset is growing.

    Does your ntp.conf contain any restrict statements?

    If you see this:

    restrict default ignore

    You need to add this (so that your ntpd will talk to time.kfki.hu):

    restrict 148.6.0.1

    You may find http://ntp.isc.org/Support/AccessRestrictions helpful

    Please post the 'ntpq -p' billboard for your system and your ntp.conf
    (without comment lines or white-space) if you need further assistance.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  4. Re: - my time server cannot sync

+ Reply to Thread