ntpdc ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen) - NTP

This is a discussion on ntpdc ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen) - NTP ; I have just started experimenting with FreeBSD (system="FreeBSD/6.1-RELEASE") and compiled a kernel with PPS_SYNC. Installed NTP version="ntpd 4.2.3p21@1.1440-o Thu Sep 14 22:36:07 UTC 2006 (1)" When I use the restrict command locally it works fine, but when I use it ...

  1. ntpdc ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen)

    I have just started experimenting with FreeBSD
    (system="FreeBSD/6.1-RELEASE") and compiled a kernel with PPS_SYNC.
    Installed NTP version="ntpd 4.2.3p21@1.1440-o Thu Sep 14 22:36:07 UTC
    2006 (1)"

    When I use the restrict command locally it works fine, but when I use
    it from my W2K machine to the FreeBSD machine, I get:

    ntpdc> restrict xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.255 nopeer notrap noquery
    nomodify
    ***Warning changing to older implementation
    ***Warning changing the request packet size from 160 to 48
    ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't
    happen)

    I have tried a few times with some different restriction, but always
    seems to fail. The first two lines only appear for the first comand.
    The unrestrict command has worked OK for the few times I have tried.

    ntpdc on W2K machine reports : ntpdc 4.2.0a@1.1391-o Dec 07 15:59:06
    (UTC+01:00) 2005 (1).

    As an aside, ntpdc -c monlist times out when requested locally, but
    responds OK when the request comes from the W2K machine.

  2. Re: ntpdc ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen)

    Can you try a newer version of ntp on your windows box?

  3. Re: ntpdc ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen)

    Mad Timekeeper wrote:

    > Installed NTP version="ntpd 4.2.3p21@1.1440-o Thu Sep 14 22:36:07 UTC
    > 2006 (1)"

    > ntpdc on W2K machine reports : ntpdc 4.2.0a@1.1391-o Dec 07 15:59:06
    > (UTC+01:00) 2005 (1).

    You should be using an ntpdc that has the same version as your ntpd.
    ntpd and ntpdc share detailed knowledge of data structures which can
    change between versions.

    --
    Ronan Flood
    working for but not speaking for

  4. Re: ntpdc ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen)

    Harlan Stenn wrote:
    > Can you try a newer version of ntp on your windows box?

    For example:

    http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

    David

  5. Re: ntpdc ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen)

    > Can you try a newer version of ntp on your windows box?

    Yes, I'll try that at the weekend. I did check that putting back the
    original version="ntpd 4.2.0-a Sun May 7 03:20:45 UTC 2006 (1)" that
    comes on the FreeBSD iso resolved the problem for the time being. I
    just pointed rc.conf to the old version of ntpd and left the other
    programs at the higher version for now.

  6. Re: ntpdc ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen)

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:03:02 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    wrote:

    >For example:
    >
    > http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

    I've just checked both ntp-4.2.0a@mbg-fluxcap-o-win32-setup.exe and
    ntp-4.2.0b@1.1436mbg-xmas-o-win32-setup.exe - they both come with the
    same version of ntpdc and ntpq, and so have the same issue.

    However I have just noticed on
    http://www.ee.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpdc.html that ntpdc only
    shows a maximum of two flags:
    | restrict address mask flag [ flag ]
    I was trying to set more than two flags with a single command...

    Trying again with just two:
    | ntpdc> restrict xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.255 noquery noserve
    | done!

    However ntpq 4.2.3p21@1.1440-o Thu Sep 14 22:39:55 UTC [1] does
    actually allow more than two...

    Anyway, the puzzle seems to be solved.

  7. Re: ntpdc ***Server reports a format error in the received packet (shouldn't happen)

    ntpdc had a maintainer, but he seems to have recently gone missing.

    I'm not sure how useful ntpdc will be after we get the new config code
    folded it.

    Time will tell...