NTPv4 : findexistingpeer() considers mode. - NTP

This is a discussion on NTPv4 : findexistingpeer() considers mode. - NTP ; Hi Experts, Could you please help me in understanding the difference between the findexistingpeer() in NTPv3 and NTPv4. In NTPv4 the findexistingpeer() additionally check the mode too. Why is this so ? This could allow two different associations for a ...

  1. NTPv4 : findexistingpeer() considers mode.

    Hi Experts,

    Could you please help me in understanding the difference between the
    findexistingpeer() in NTPv3 and NTPv4. In NTPv4 the findexistingpeer()
    additionally check the mode too. Why is this so ? This could allow
    two different associations for a same server with different mode, right
    ?

    Could you please explain the reason for this change, if any ?

    Thanks,
    Arul Kumar C
    -~-

  2. Re: NTPv4 : findexistingpeer() considers mode.

    Arul,

    This was a deliberate choice to avoid interaction between misconfigured
    conditions. Consider what happens if some perp configures peer and
    client associations with the same server. Formerly, this was really bad
    news; now it actually works, even if ill advised.

    Dave

    Arul Kumar C wrote:
    > Hi Experts,
    >
    > Could you please help me in understanding the difference between the
    > findexistingpeer() in NTPv3 and NTPv4. In NTPv4 the findexistingpeer()
    > additionally check the mode too. Why is this so ? This could allow
    > two different associations for a same server with different mode, right
    > ?
    >
    > Could you please explain the reason for this change, if any ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Arul Kumar C
    > -~-

  3. Re: NTPv4 : findexistingpeer() considers mode.

    Hi Dave,

    I got the reason. Thanks for this info.

    Thanks,
    Arul Kumar C
    -~-

    David L. Mills wrote:
    > Arul,
    >
    > This was a deliberate choice to avoid interaction between misconfigured
    > conditions. Consider what happens if some perp configures peer and
    > client associations with the same server. Formerly, this was really bad
    > news; now it actually works, even if ill advised.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > Arul Kumar C wrote:
    > > Hi Experts,
    > >
    > > Could you please help me in understanding the difference between the
    > > findexistingpeer() in NTPv3 and NTPv4. In NTPv4 the findexistingpeer()
    > > additionally check the mode too. Why is this so ? This could allow
    > > two different associations for a same server with different mode, right
    > > ?
    > >
    > > Could you please explain the reason for this change, if any ?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Arul Kumar C
    > > -~-

+ Reply to Thread