NTP: time not synchronized - NTP

This is a discussion on NTP: time not synchronized - NTP ; Hi We have a system working only in a LAN. We install ntp on each machine (windows 2000). We choose one of them to be the time server, and then we configure all others machines to synchronize on this time ...

  1. NTP: time not synchronized

    Hi

    We have a system working only in a LAN. We install ntp on each machine
    (windows 2000). We choose one of them to be the time server, and then
    we configure all others machines to synchronize on this time server.
    We put the same ntp.conf on every machine, but some of them are not
    synchronized.
    When I used monitor ntp, we can see that these machines have between 23
    secondes and 150 secondes of offset.
    I would like to know if the problem that I have is due to the big time
    difference between machines ?
    And How can I resolve the problem ?

    I tried to delete the drift file, but the problem steel happen.

    If anyoine have an idea, or need more details....

    Thanks.

  2. Re: NTP: time not synchronized

    pasdepoil wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > We have a system working only in a LAN. We install ntp on each machine
    > (windows 2000). We choose one of them to be the time server, and then
    > we configure all others machines to synchronize on this time server.
    > We put the same ntp.conf on every machine, but some of them are not
    > synchronized.
    > When I used monitor ntp, we can see that these machines have between 23
    > secondes and 150 secondes of offset.
    > I would like to know if the problem that I have is due to the big time
    > difference between machines ?
    > And How can I resolve the problem ?
    >
    > I tried to delete the drift file, but the problem steel happen.
    >
    > If anyoine have an idea, or need more details....

    Actually you have given us no details whatsoever.

    1) What version of ntpd are you running?
    2) What does your clients' and server's config file contain?
    3) What does ntpq show you for both clients and server?
    4) How are you monitoring ntp?

    Danny
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: NTP: time not synchronized

    pasdepoil schrieb:
    > Hi
    >
    > We have a system working only in a LAN. We install ntp on each machine
    > (windows 2000). We choose one of them to be the time server, and then
    > we configure all others machines to synchronize on this time server.
    > We put the same ntp.conf on every machine, but some of them are not
    > synchronized.
    > When I used monitor ntp, we can see that these machines have between 23
    > secondes and 150 secondes of offset.
    > I would like to know if the problem that I have is due to the big time
    > difference between machines ?
    > And How can I resolve the problem ?

    Just a wild guess: Maybe you are interpreting the values the wrong way
    and the offset is between 23 and 150 milliseconds? This would be a
    common range for Windows PCs ...

    > I tried to delete the drift file, but the problem steel happen.
    >
    > If anyoine have an idea, or need more details....

    Open a command line window on one of the clients and type "ntpq -p" as a
    command, then show us the output.

    Best regards,
    Heiko

    MEINBERG Radio Clocks
    www.meinberg.de

    IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.

  4. Re: NTP: time not synchronized

    Danny Mayer a écrit :

    > Actually you have given us no details whatsoever.
    >
    > 1) What version of ntpd are you running?
    > 2) What does your clients' and server's config file contain?
    > 3) What does ntpq show you for both clients and server?
    > 4) How are you monitoring ntp?

    So we are using ntpd 4.1.72 on every machine.
    I will give you the result of the ntpq -p command for the server and
    the 2 clients (one OK and a failed one)

    failed client: OK client: server:
    remote 01S.ccadomain.com 01S.ccadomain.com LOCAL(0)
    refid 0.0.0.0 LCL LCL
    stratum 16 1 0
    type unicast server unicast server Local Clock
    when - 114 25
    poll 512 256 64
    reach 0 377 377
    delay 0.000 44.713 0.000
    offset 0.000 -5.545 0.000
    jitter 4000.00 80.834 0.001

    To monitor, I'm using two tools, the fisrt one is "NTPMonitor
    V5.0.6.28", with this tools I know the real offset between my machines
    (Here I know that for the failed client the offset is 151 second, and
    for the OK is 8.9 ms), and the second one is "NTP Time Server Monitor"
    (this one show me the result of the ntpq -p command for every machine I
    put in the configuration)

    I present the ntp.conf I use (I verified, it is the same for every
    client).

    for the Time Server:
    driftfile %windir%\ntp.drift
    server 127.127.1.0

    For both client:
    driftfile %windir%\ntp.drift
    server 173.17.0.1

    The IP address of 01S.ccadomain.com is 173.17.0.1
    All ntp.conf are situated in c:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\

    Just for information, I know that is not a good idea to use NTP without
    synchronise on external server dedicated to this, but the system is not
    connected to internet, and what we want it is just that all machines be
    synchronised between them (if we have a difference with the real time,
    and we have few minutes, it is not a big problem).

    pdp.

  5. Re: NTP: time not synchronized

    In article "Richard
    B. Gilbert" writes:

    >Ntpd cannot correct errors greater than 1024 seconds!

    Actually I think it's 1000 seconds (by default).

    > Large errors less
    >that 1024 seconds can take a very long time to correct; the highest rate
    >at which ntpd can slew the clock is 500 parts per million or about 43
    >seconds per day.

    ITYM "large errors less than 128 milliseconds":-) - errors between 128
    ms and 1000 s are corrected by stepping the clock (by default).

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  6. Re: NTP: time not synchronized

    "pdp" wrote in message
    news:1157461828.336482.64560@m79g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    [...]
    > So we are using ntpd 4.1.72 on every machine.

    If it works, it works. If it doesn't, people are going to tell you
    to upgrade just to make sure you're not running into bugs long since
    fixed.

    > I will give you the result of the ntpq -p command for the server and
    > the 2 clients (one OK and a failed one)
    >
    > failed client: OK client: server:
    > remote 01S.ccadomain.com 01S.ccadomain.com LOCAL(0)
    > refid 0.0.0.0 LCL LCL
    > stratum 16 1 0
    > type unicast server unicast server Local Clock
    > when - 114 25
    > poll 512 256 64
    > reach 0 377 377
    > delay 0.000 44.713 0.000
    > offset 0.000 -5.545 0.000
    > jitter 4000.00 80.834 0.001

    This is an original and actually rather nice way of presenting ntpq -p
    output.

    The failed client has a reach of zero, meaning that it never talked to
    the server at all. It may have talked _at_ the server, but it never got
    any replies.

    Don't put your local clock at stratum zero. It isn't. If you ever
    acquire an Internet connection or a real refclock, you don't want your
    local clock to even have a chance of drowning it out. Make it ten now,
    so you can't forget to later.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  7. Re: NTP: time not synchronized

    Hello all

    I launched the ntptrace command on 2 machines (one good, an one
    failed).
    This is the result:

    Mahcine OK: ntptrace
    03a.ccadomain.com: stratum 2, offset 0.009380, synch distance 0.03424
    01s.ccadomain.com: startum 1, offset 1.157466, synch distance 0.01157,
    refid 'LCL'

    machine failed:ntptrace
    01b.ccadomain.com: stratum 16, offset 0.001308, synch distance 0.01654
    01b.ccadomain.com: *Not Synchronized*

    I don't understand why for the failed one, it does not show the good
    time server name ?
    And why the stratum is 16 ?

    Thanks.

  8. Re: NTP: time not synchronized

    A machine at stratum 16 is unsync'd and there is no reason to sync to a
    machine that does not know what time it is.

  9. Re: NTP: time not synchronized

    pdp wrote:

    > Hello all
    >
    > I launched the ntptrace command on 2 machines (one good, an one
    > failed).
    > This is the result:
    >
    > Mahcine OK: ntptrace
    > 03a.ccadomain.com: stratum 2, offset 0.009380, synch distance 0.03424
    > 01s.ccadomain.com: startum 1, offset 1.157466, synch distance 0.01157,
    > refid 'LCL'
    >

    > machine failed:ntptrace
    > 01b.ccadomain.com: stratum 16, offset 0.001308, synch distance 0.01654
    > 01b.ccadomain.com: *Not Synchronized*
    >
    > I don't understand why for the failed one, it does not show the good
    > time server name ?
    > And why the stratum is 16 ?
    >

    > Thanks.

    The stratum is 16 because the server is not, itself, synchronized.

    The failed one shows the name of the server(s) it is configured to use.
    Change ntp.conf to replace the bad server with a good server.

+ Reply to Thread