time.ucla.edu is closed - NTP

This is a discussion on time.ucla.edu is closed - NTP ; Danny, The "technical means" we use to screen out falsechimers from our private servers is easy. We set restrictions to all our campus nets and "notrust" to screen out others unless authenticated. Even so, there are numerous perps how ping ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: time.ucla.edu is closed

    Danny,

    The "technical means" we use to screen out falsechimers from our private
    servers is easy. We set restrictions to all our campus nets and
    "notrust" to screen out others unless authenticated. Even so, there are
    numerous perps how ping our servers anyway, in spite of the fact they
    have received no reply for several years.

    Dave

    Danny Mayer wrote:

    > Felix Tilley wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 02:54:39 +0000, Danny Mayer wrote:
    >>

    >>>NTP has never used TCP.
    >>>
    >>>Where did you see that this system has public access? The notice
    >>>attached to the list for tick (time is a CNAME) shows the following:
    >>>
    >>>AccessDetails: Open access to stratum-2 servers and to UCLA clients.
    >>>
    >>>So why are you trying to access it?
    >>>
    >>>Danny

    >>It is publically available. My former employer put its time servers
    >>behind a firewall. I am accessing it to sync my computer clock. How do
    >>you you do it?
    >>

    > What part of Stratum-2 servers don't you understand? I am very serious
    > about this: you need to stop using restricted servers. The restrictions
    > are by policy rather than by technical means but that can be changed.
    >
    > Danny
    >

    >>Felix
    >>Tucson

  2. Re: time.ucla.edu is closed

    Danny,

    When I first asked the Number Czar for an NTP port number circa 1980, I
    purposely asked for both a UDP and TCP port, primarily to avoid the
    possibility that some j-random incompatible service might be assigned
    TCP port 123. Secondarily, I wanted to sustain the possibility that some
    NTP monitoring function might in fact wish to use the TCP port. That
    remains a possibility.

    Dave

    Danny Mayer wrote:

    > Felix Tilley wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:51:35 -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
    >>

    >>>123/tcp ????
    >>>
    >>>When was the last time you saw a ntp tcp packet?
    >>>
    >>>-wolfgang

    >>I don't know if NTP uses TCP, UDP or both. All I know is time.ucla.edu
    >>does not respond to ntpdate (Linux version). This started a few days ago.
    >>

    > NTP has never used TCP.
    >
    > Where did you see that this system has public access? The notice
    > attached to the list for tick (time is a CNAME) shows the following:
    >
    > AccessDetails: Open access to stratum-2 servers and to UCLA clients.
    >
    > So why are you trying to access it?
    >
    > Danny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2