NTP for Windows: Final Release of stable version - NTP

This is a discussion on NTP for Windows: Final Release of stable version - NTP ; My fellow members of the Church of the Nanosecond, due to a number of bug reports regarding the current NTP version included in our Windows Installer, I decided to release an older version of a windows NTP binary to allow ...

  1. NTP for Windows: Final Release of stable version

    My fellow members of the Church of the Nanosecond,

    due to a number of bug reports regarding the current NTP version
    included in our Windows Installer, I decided to release an older version
    of a windows NTP binary to allow end users to get rid of the stability
    problems the "xmas" version of NTP has on some systems.

    Nevertheless the "xmas" Installer was a great success and has been
    downloaded more than 16,000 times this year.

    As always, any bug reports or feedback can be sent to
    ntp-support@meinberg.de or posted in the Windows NTP Bug reports forum
    at www.time-server-monitor.com (please make sure you do not accidentally
    select the Time Server Monitor bug reports forum for any bug reports
    related to our Windows port of NTP).

    Download it from here:
    http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

    If you need a comfortable and informative graphical user interface to
    NTP in order to monitor your sync status or collect and display
    interesting statistical NTP-related data, please check out our free NTP
    time server monitor:
    http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ti...er-monitor.htm

    The version is called "fluxcap" because (as mentioned before) I never
    managed to find a decent flux capacitor for my car on eBay
    (unfortunately I do not own a De Lorean DMC-12...). As soon as I get
    one, I will check what happens with NTP in 2036. In any case it feels a
    little bit like traveling "back to the future" to install a 4.2.0a on my
    Windows machines :-)

    Best regards,
    Heiko

    MEINBERG Radio Clocks
    www.meinberg.de

    IRIG. Rack mount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.

  2. Re: NTP for Windows: Final Release of stable version

    Heiko Gerstung wrote:
    > My fellow members of the Church of the Nanosecond,
    >
    > due to a number of bug reports regarding the current NTP version
    > included in our Windows Installer, I decided to release an older
    > version of a windows NTP binary to allow end users to get rid of the
    > stability problems the "xmas" version of NTP has on some systems.
    >
    > Nevertheless the "xmas" Installer was a great success and has been
    > downloaded more than 16,000 times this year.

    []
    > Best regards,
    > Heiko

    Heiko,

    I am most grateful for your work in releasing the Windows version. Your
    efforts are appreciated. Despite having the tools to hand, and at least
    some experience, I have not found it possible to keep up with the current
    builds of NTP compiling the software for Windows myself.

    I have your "xmas" version installed on 6 PCs here, and I have observed
    that under certain conditions (related to DVB-based satellite data
    acquisition software loosing satellite lock) NTP can become unstable, with
    the drift file sometimes containing wildly incorrect values. Is this the
    sort of instability you have had reported? In other words, should I
    downgrade?

    Thanks,
    David

  3. Re: NTP for Windows: Final Release of stableversion

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > I have your "xmas" version installed on 6 PCs here, and I have observed
    > that under certain conditions (related to DVB-based satellite data
    > acquisition software loosing satellite lock) NTP can become unstable, with
    > the drift file sometimes containing wildly incorrect values. Is this the
    > sort of instability you have had reported? In other words, should I
    > downgrade?

    If you are seeing issues like this you should report them separately.
    Heiko is talking about a different problem.

    Danny

  4. Re: NTP for Windows: Final Release of stableversion

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >> I have your "xmas" version installed on 6 PCs here, and I have
    >> observed that under certain conditions (related to DVB-based
    >> satellite data acquisition software loosing satellite lock) NTP can
    >> become unstable, with the drift file sometimes containing wildly
    >> incorrect values. Is this the sort of instability you have had
    >> reported? In other words, should I downgrade?
    >>

    > If you are seeing issues like this you should report them separately.
    > Heiko is talking about a different problem.
    >
    > Danny

    Thanks, Danny. Without knowing what issues Heiko was talking about (and I
    still don't) I was uncertain whether to downgrade.

    The "unstable with TelliCast and satellite signal loss" is something to do
    with the satellite software, I believe, but is not completely
    reproducible, and not something I would want the development team wasting
    their time on right now.

    Cheers,
    David

+ Reply to Thread