how to extract time and position at the same time? - NTP

This is a discussion on how to extract time and position at the same time? - NTP ; Hi, I'm using the Motorola Oncore successfully with NTP. However in addition to get my PC clock synchronized, I also want to get my position. Since I want to mount the GPS will be mounted on a vehicle, I will ...

  1. how to extract time and position at the same time?

    Hi,

    I'm using the Motorola Oncore successfully with NTP. However in addition
    to get my PC clock synchronized, I also want to get my position.
    Since I want to mount the GPS will be mounted on a vehicle, I
    will have to continuously have to log the position to a file, to trace my
    path.

    In general:
    - What are the issues involving time and position retrieval from GPS
    on a moving? How can I practically speaking extract the position
    information to an ASCII file?

    Thanks for any hints or thoughts.

    Mario

  2. Re: how to extract time and position at the same time?

    Mario Behn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using the Motorola Oncore successfully with NTP. However in addition
    > to get my PC clock synchronized, I also want to get my position.
    > Since I want to mount the GPS will be mounted on a vehicle, I
    > will have to continuously have to log the position to a file, to trace my
    > path.
    >
    > In general:
    > - What are the issues involving time and position retrieval from GPS
    > on a moving? How can I practically speaking extract the position
    > information to an ASCII file?
    >
    > Thanks for any hints or thoughts.
    >
    > Mario

    Timing and navigation have different requirements! Generally, the GPS
    hardware used for navigation is not very good at timing and vice versa.
    NTP software is not designed for navigation.

    For navigation I would suggest DeLorme Street-Atlas USA with DeLorme's
    current GPS receiver. Your mobile PC (Laptop?) will know what time it
    is but not quite as well as a fixed GPS system designed for timing. I
    believe that there is a Rand-McNally product as well but I've never used
    it and know nothing about it other than a vague rumor that it exists.

    Use your Oncore in a fixed location for timing.

  3. Re: how to extract time and position at the same time?

    Mario> I'm using the Motorola Oncore successfully with NTP. However in
    Mario> addition to get my PC clock synchronized, I also want to get my
    Mario> position. Since I want to mount the GPS will be mounted on a
    Mario> vehicle, I will have to continuously have to log the position
    Mario> to a file, to trace my path.

    Have a look at gpsd (cf http://gpsd.berlios.de/). It is designed for
    that, and can provide the tracking data to other apps, such as moving
    maps, et al. It can even act as a client of a PPS signal and provide
    the tod and pps info to ntpd via the shared mem reference clock (#28).

    That's the how. I'll leave the how well for someone who has had the
    opportunity to actually try it out. (I'm gps-less at the moment....)

    -JimC
    --
    James Cloos OpenPGP: 0xED7DAEA6

  4. Re: how to extract time and position at the same time?

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using the Motorola Oncore successfully with NTP. However in addition
    > to get my PC clock synchronized, I also want to get my position.
    > Since I want to mount the GPS will be mounted on a vehicle, I
    > will have to continuously have to log the position to a file, to trace my
    > path.
    >
    > In general:
    > - What are the issues involving time and position retrieval from GPS
    > on a moving? How can I practically speaking extract the position
    > information to an ASCII file?
    >
    > Thanks for any hints or thoughts.
    >
    > Mario

    For the level of imprecision that NTP requires using
    an Oncore for both navigation and timing should work
    fine. Just make sure not to set the receiver in zero-D
    mode.

    /tvb

+ Reply to Thread