Re: follow up on Windows 2003 SP1 Time Service versus ntpd - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: follow up on Windows 2003 SP1 Time Service versus ntpd - NTP ; I've been trying to get Windows XP SP2 to work as an NTP client for a couple weeks now, but with very, very poor results compared to the results I can obtain with Windows port of NTP. As best I ...

  1. Re: follow up on Windows 2003 SP1 Time Service versus ntpd

    I've been trying to get Windows XP SP2 to work as an NTP client for a
    couple weeks now, but with very, very poor results compared to the
    results I can obtain with Windows port of NTP.

    As best I understand it, Windows XP has the same Windows Time Service as
    Windows 2003 ... at least based on the common registry parameters.

    Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to get my XP time service to
    sync the time as well as NTP ... as you have demonstrated with Win2003?

  2. Re: follow up on Windows 2003 SP1 Time Service versus ntpd

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:26:03 -0500 in comp.protocols.time.ntp,
    HokeyPokey wrote:

    >I've been trying to get Windows XP SP2 to work as an NTP client for a
    >couple weeks now, but with very, very poor results compared to the
    >results I can obtain with Windows port of NTP.
    >
    >As best I understand it, Windows XP has the same Windows Time Service as
    >Windows 2003 ... at least based on the common registry parameters.
    >
    >Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to get my XP time service to
    >sync the time as well as NTP ... as you have demonstrated with Win2003?

    W2K, or XP for known problems and suggested solutions.

    Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address use address above to reply

  3. Re: follow up on Windows 2003 SP1 Time Service versus ntpd

    HokeyPokey wrote:
    > I've been trying to get Windows XP SP2 to work as an NTP client for a
    > couple weeks now, but with very, very poor results compared to the
    > results I can obtain with Windows port of NTP.
    >
    > As best I understand it, Windows XP has the same Windows Time Service
    > as Windows 2003 ... at least based on the common registry parameters.

    I don't believe that is the case (but I might be wrong). The XP Microsoft
    NTP client is actually an SNTP client, and simply syncs once in a while to
    the server. By default, I think the sync is once per week. The Window
    2003 Server NTP software is much nearer to the reference NTP
    implementation.

    > Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to get my XP time service to
    > sync the time as well as NTP ... as you have demonstrated with
    > Win2003?

    You may want to ensure that the multimedia timers are permanently enabled.
    The Meinberg NTP Windows port allows that (as a command-line parameter).

    Cheers,
    David

+ Reply to Thread