>The NTP reference implementation, with all the libraries and accesories
>is about 75,000 lines of code. I doubt very much that it was easy to
>write or that it would be easy to write a new one from scratch. There
>is much, much more to NTP than "What time is it?", "It's 21:42:37.421".

And there's no reason to write such a program from scratch, since we
already have one. But my guess is that a program that just answers
the "what time is it?" question, such as asked by Ntpdate, based on
gettimeofday(), can probably be done in a few hundred lines. I'll
probably try, just to find out.

--
Bryan Henderson Phone 408-621-2000
San Jose, California