Re: simple time server - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: simple time server - NTP ; >NTP is a very poor choice for what you want to do. It does not deal >with local time at all, it's UTC all the way. When I said the server would give out local system time, I just meant ...

  1. Re: simple time server

    >NTP is a very poor choice for what you want to do. It does not deal
    >with local time at all, it's UTC all the way.

    When I said the server would give out local system time, I just meant
    the time from that computer's local authority (i.e. gettimeofday()) as
    opposed to something that professes to be global standard time. I
    don't care about time zones.

    >Have you considered using rdate? See man rdate.

    That looks pretty good. Not as good as NTP, due to the reduced precision
    and less standard protocol, but OK. Thanks. It's definitely the
    _concept_ I'm looking for.

    I suspect it's pretty easy just to _write_ an NTP server program that
    does what I'm describing, but I thought I should make sure it hasn't
    already been done.

    --
    Bryan Henderson Phone 408-621-2000
    San Jose, California

  2. Re: simple time server

    Bryan Henderson wrote:

    >>NTP is a very poor choice for what you want to do. It does not deal
    >>with local time at all, it's UTC all the way.

    > When I said the server would give out local system time, I just meant
    > the time from that computer's local authority (i.e. gettimeofday()) as
    > opposed to something that professes to be global standard time. I
    > don't care about time zones.
    >

    >>Have you considered using rdate? See man rdate.

    > That looks pretty good. Not as good as NTP, due to the reduced precision
    > and less standard protocol, but OK. Thanks. It's definitely the
    > _concept_ I'm looking for.
    >
    > I suspect it's pretty easy just to _write_ an NTP server program that
    > does what I'm describing, but I thought I should make sure it hasn't
    > already been done.

    The NTP reference implementation, with all the libraries and accesories
    is about 75,000 lines of code. I doubt very much that it was easy to
    write or that it would be easy to write a new one from scratch. There
    is much, much more to NTP than "What time is it?", "It's 21:42:37.421".

    If you just want to ask another system what time it is, you don't need
    ntpd. Rdate will get you the time to the nearest second with very
    little trouble.

    SNTP or Simple Network Time Protocol is much easier to implement but not
    as accurate.

+ Reply to Thread