Re: Slew mode check for NTP (Windows) - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: Slew mode check for NTP (Windows) - NTP ; Hi David, Have you checked the slew mode operation as well? Say, i start the NTP service as "ntpd -x" and change the system time 3 minutes ahead of clock source. How much time it will take to correct the ...

  1. Re: Slew mode check for NTP (Windows)

    Hi David,

    Have you checked the slew mode operation as well?

    Say, i start the NTP service as "ntpd -x" and change the system time 3
    minutes ahead of clock source.

    How much time it will take to correct the time?

    Or

    How much time it took to correct the system time?

    Thanks,
    Sasi.

    PS: Thanks to all who shared/is sharing their experience and valuable
    comments

    On 7/27/06, David J Taylor <
    david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-...r-this-part.uk> wrote:

    > Sasikumar Jayaraman wrote:
    > []
    > > But I have tough time in finding Windows binaries for XNTP 4.2.2
    > >
    > > Let me dig on internet for somemore time.
    > >
    > > Appreciate if anyone could help me on Windows binary for XNTP 4.2.2
    > >

    > > Thanks,
    > >

    > Sasi,
    >
    > I have found that NTP works well on Windows systems. Some of my results
    > are here:
    >
    > http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html
    >
    > and I would recommend the Meinberg build and installable package:
    >
    > http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm
    >
    > They have NTP v4.2.0b which works fine. BTW: it's not XNTP, as you keep
    > writing.
    >
    > David

  2. Re: Slew mode check for NTP (Windows)

    Sasikumar Jayaraman schrieb:

    > Say, i start the NTP service as "ntpd -x" and change the system time 3
    > minutes ahead of clock source.
    >
    > How much time it will take to correct the time?

    The maximum slew rate is 500ppm, therefore an error of 1 second is
    corrected
    in ~2000 seconds and an error of 180 seconds is corrected in ~360,000
    seconds
    -- that's a tad over 4 days.

    This is documented in
    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html#op.
    See the paragraph beginning "The issues should be carefully
    explored..."

    I'll say it again: NTP is really not designed to be run in environments
    where
    the time suddenly twiches by several minutes. It does a great job when
    its
    external time references advance at a uniform rate that's close to 1
    second per second.

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread