NTP on IPv6 - NTP

This is a discussion on NTP on IPv6 - NTP ; Can anyone tell me if NTP has ever been shown to be running over IPv6 in a public demonstration, such as in an industry group test or a trade show demo? Also, do the Feds mandate that government networks use ...

  1. NTP on IPv6

    Can anyone tell me if NTP has ever been shown to be running over IPv6
    in a public demonstration, such as in an industry group test or a trade
    show demo? Also, do the Feds mandate that government networks use NTP?
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the world.

    Christophe

  2. Re: NTP on IPv6

    cvolpe@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me if NTP has ever been shown to be running over IPv6
    > in a public demonstration, such as in an industry group test or a trade
    > show demo?

    Yes, NTP has been running for years using IPv6. Most of the nodes in the
    test flock run NTP with IPv6 as well as IPv4. Last year I finished
    making major changes to the IPv6 multicasting code.

    Also, do the Feds mandate that government networks use NTP?

    I don't know if it is a requirement but I would hope so.

    Danny

    > Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the world.
    >
    > Christophe

  3. Re: NTP on IPv6

    cvolpe@hotmail.com writes:

    >Can anyone tell me if NTP has ever been shown to be running over IPv6
    >in a public demonstration, such as in an industry group test or a trade
    >show demo?

    We added an IPv6 service to our public NTP server a bit over two
    years ago. We have a number of regular IPv6 clients outside our
    organisation. We're not the only public NTP providers to do this
    either. I'm not sure if this counts as a public demonstration,
    but...

    David.

  4. Re: NTP on IPv6

    Hi, Christophe:

    cvolpe@hotmail.com schrieb:
    > Can anyone tell me if NTP has ever been shown to be running over IPv6
    > in a public demonstration, such as in an industry group test or a trade
    > show demo? Also, do the Feds mandate that government networks use NTP?
    > Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the world.
    >
    > Christophe

    We sell NTP time servers with IPv6 support since two years now (see
    http://www.meinberg.de/english/news/news_040501_001.htm) and they are
    using the reference implementation of NTPv4 from Dave Mills / University
    of Delaware since then.

    Quite a number of our customers use them in an IPv6 environment, so I
    can safely confirm that NTPv4 over IPv6 has been demonstrated and tested
    numerous times.

    Regarding the second part of your question: AFAIK the Feds ask for IPv6
    support for all new systems they purchase, but I do not know if they
    require their users to go for NTP when it comes to network time
    synchronization.

    Best regards,
    Heiko

    MEINBERG Radio Clocks
    www.meinberg.de

    IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.

  5. Re: NTP on IPv6

    In article <1153454277.498115.262260@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    cvolpe@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Also, do the Feds mandate that government networks use NTP?
    >Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the world.
    >
    >Christophe

    It's not a US Government-wide requirement, and not even well-supported
    within my agency. "They" are trying to ban NTP at our Internet gateways
    for vague security reasons, without a solid NTP infrastructure inside
    our network.

    -- Rex

  6. Re: NTP on IPv6

    > Also, do the Feds mandate that government networks use NTP?

    Hello many of our customer require NTP support and there are laws that
    require an accurate time stamp for servers used for accounting and
    billing purposes. In germany we have e.g. 5 TKV RegTP (Government
    Commission for Telecommunication Products) which requires special
    accuracy of such servers.

    I don't think it is a goverment requirement to use NTP but how you want
    to ensure accurate time otherwise except using GPS or DCF77 receivers
    for every server. Because this effort would be to high. Using NTP is
    the only solution I know.

+ Reply to Thread