Question about TrueTime NTS-100i - NTP

This is a discussion on Question about TrueTime NTS-100i - NTP ; Not sure if this is the appropriate place or not for this, but figured that since it deals with NTP, and GPS time bases, this would be as good of a place as any to ask my question, so here ...

  1. Question about TrueTime NTS-100i

    Not sure if this is the appropriate place or not for this, but figured that since it deals with NTP, and GPS time bases, this would be as good of a place as any to ask my question, so here goes...

    I have a TrueTime NTS-100i server. It does GPS time synchronization, and I *think* that it does NTP, too. Problem is, is there is an epoch issue with the server. Anyone know *how* to fix this without having to spend $2000+ USD on a replacement??? I don't have that kind of cash,and thought that I might be able to use it (not realizing that it has an epoch issue).

    Any ideas, people? Private email or here is fine. Email is "rsradvan@unixworks.net".

    Thanks.

    -r

  2. Re: Question about TrueTime NTS-100i

    Bob Radvanovsky wrote:
    > Not sure if this is the appropriate place or not for this, but figured that since it deals with NTP, and GPS time bases, this would be as good of a place as any to ask my question, so here goes...
    >
    > I have a TrueTime NTS-100i server. It does GPS time synchronization, and I *think* that it does NTP, too. Problem is, is there is an epoch issue with the server. Anyone know *how* to fix this without having to spend $2000+ USD on a replacement??? I don't have that kind of cash, and thought that I might be able to use it (not realizing that it has an epoch issue).
    >
    > Any ideas, people? Private email or here is fine. Email is "rsradvan@unixworks.net".
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -r

    Can you be a little more explicit than just "epoch issue"?

    If it really does NTP, it should be able to handle any date between
    1-Jan-1970 and sometime in 2038.

    FWIW, I believe that Symmetricom bought TrueTime and provides whatever
    support is still availabe for TrueTime products. This might include
    such things as firmware upgrades.

    Support from Symmetricom is supposed to be available until 7-June-2007.

    See: http://www.symmetricom.com/Media/pdf...T_NTS-100i.pdf

  3. Re: Question about TrueTime NTS-100i

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Bob Radvanovsky wrote:
    >> Not sure if this is the appropriate place or not for this, but figured
    >> that since it deals with NTP, and GPS time bases, this would be as
    >> good of a place as any to ask my question, so here goes...
    >>
    >> I have a TrueTime NTS-100i server. It does GPS time synchronization,
    >> and I *think* that it does NTP, too. Problem is, is there is an epoch
    >> issue with the server. Anyone know *how* to fix this without having
    >> to spend $2000+ USD on a replacement??? I don't have that kind of
    >> cash, and thought that I might be able to use it (not realizing that
    >> it has an epoch issue).
    >>
    >> Any ideas, people? Private email or here is fine. Email is
    >> "rsradvan@unixworks.net".
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> -r
    >>

    > Can you be a little more explicit than just "epoch issue"?
    >
    > If it really does NTP, it should be able to handle any date between
    > 1-Jan-1970 and sometime in 2038.
    >
    > FWIW, I believe that Symmetricom bought TrueTime and provides whatever
    > support is still availabe for TrueTime products. This might include
    > such things as firmware upgrades.
    >
    > Support from Symmetricom is supposed to be available until 7-June-2007.
    >
    > See: http://www.symmetricom.com/Media/pdf...T_NTS-100i.pdf

    And even long after the end of life of a product Symmetricom was really helpful - I have an NTS100
    (not the i version) that I got on eBay and they dug up a manual for me and were able to find
    somebody who could answer questions. The level of service we very impressive for a 10+ year old
    product, it's unusual and pleasing to see a company stand behind a product that old that they got as
    part of a merger. They are on my list of good vendors when for when I spend company $.

    John

  4. Re: Question about TrueTime NTS-100i

    Bob Radvanovsky wrote:
    > Not sure if this is the appropriate place or not for this, but figured that since it deals with NTP, and GPS time bases, this would be as good of a place as any to ask my question, so here goes...
    >
    > I have a TrueTime NTS-100i server. It does GPS time synchronization, and I *think* that it does NTP, too. Problem is, is there is an epoch issue with the server. Anyone know *how* to fix this without having to spend $2000+ USD on a replacement??? I don't have that kind of cash, and thought that I might be able to use it (not realizing that it has an epoch issue).
    >
    > Any ideas, people? Private email or here is fine. Email is "rsradvan@unixworks.net".

    I've had the old NTS-100 for many years, at one point in time, possibly
    Y2K, I needed to upgrade the firmware.

    Talk to Symmetricom! Even though quite a few of the original TrueTime
    people have left, they still seem like a good company, and they might
    still have your missing firmware update available.

    From very fuzzy memory, ISTR that you need to swap out a pair of EPROM
    devices. :-)

    Terje

    --
    -

  5. Re: Question about TrueTime NTS-100i

    Check this link:

    http://www.symmetricom.com/Media/pdf...41620-002k.pdf

    Or google 'nts-100 f68'

    There was a problem that showed up in 2002 which had to do with the
    parameter
    they call "Year Entry - GPS epoch management).

    Short answer is to log in to the thing (telnet, serial, whatever) and
    enter the
    command "F68 1996" (without the quotes.)

    Sets the GPS epock to 1996 rather than something else which was the
    default.

    Bob