NTP 4.2.2p2 Released - NTP

This is a discussion on NTP 4.2.2p2 Released - NTP ; Redwood City, CA - 2006/07/09 - The NTP Public Services Project ( http://ntp.isc.org/ ) is pleased to announce that NTP 4.2.2p2, a Stable Release of the NTP Reference Implementation from the NTP Project, is now available at http://ntp.isc.org/download . The ...

  1. NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

    Redwood City, CA - 2006/07/09 - The NTP Public Services Project
    (http://ntp.isc.org/) is pleased to announce that NTP 4.2.2p2,
    a Stable Release of the NTP Reference Implementation from the
    NTP Project, is now available at http://ntp.isc.org/download.

    The file-size of this Stable Release is 2563137 bytes. An MD5 sum
    of this release is available at http://ntp.isc.org/download.

    Please report any bugs, issues, or desired enhancements at
    http://bugs.ntp.isc.org/.

    The NTP (Network Time Protocol) Public Services Project, which is
    hosted by Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. (http://www.isc.org/),
    provides support and additional development resources for the
    Reference Implementation of NTP produced by the NTP Project
    (http://www.ntp.org/).

  2. Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

    NTP Public Services Project wrote:

    > Redwood City, CA - 2006/07/09 - The NTP Public Services Project
    > (http://ntp.isc.org/) is pleased to announce that NTP 4.2.2p2,
    > a Stable Release of the NTP Reference Implementation from the
    > NTP Project, is now available at http://ntp.isc.org/download.
    >
    > The file-size of this Stable Release is 2563137 bytes. An MD5 sum
    > of this release is available at http://ntp.isc.org/download.
    >
    > Please report any bugs, issues, or desired enhancements at
    > http://bugs.ntp.isc.org/.
    >
    > The NTP (Network Time Protocol) Public Services Project, which is
    > hosted by Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. (http://www.isc.org/),
    > provides support and additional development resources for the
    > Reference Implementation of NTP produced by the NTP Project
    > (http://www.ntp.org/).

    Are we having daily releases now? A "stable" release that is superseded
    in a single day seems to me to lack some sort of stability!

  3. Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

    > Are we having daily releases now? A "stable" release that is superseded
    > in a single day seems to me to lack some sort of stability!

    Are you posting without reading the ChangeLog? That would seem to me to be
    a lack of ... I'll stop that thought.

    The good news is that I discovered a fix for a problem with sntp under AIX-5
    (clearly nobody had built it there) just after p1 was released, so I put
    that one change in to p2.

    The bad news is that while this patch built fine on all the systems I have
    here, somebody out there has a system where the patch does not work, so
    there will be a p3 coming out soon.

    If you don't care about sntp under AIX-5 (and apparently nobody has before)
    then stick with p1 and make your own decision if/when p4 comes out (or
    perhaps p3, if it contains more than the cleanup for the current problem).

  4. Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

    Harlan Stenn wrote:

    >>Are we having daily releases now? A "stable" release that is superseded
    >>in a single day seems to me to lack some sort of stability!

    > Are you posting without reading the ChangeLog? That would seem to me to be
    > a lack of ... I'll stop that thought.

    Neither announcement included a "ChangeLog". I believe that I would
    have to download the "p2" release in order to see one. So, yes, I
    posted without first downloading the release. Sorry about that, but not
    very.

    What I have (4.2.1p241-RC@1.1498)seems to be working very well at the
    moment so I'm in no hurry to download and install anything new. One of
    these days I'll catch up to the "bleeding edge" again.

  5. Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

    Harlan Stenn wrote:
    >> Are we having daily releases now? A "stable" release that is superseded
    >> in a single day seems to me to lack some sort of stability!

    > Are you posting without reading the ChangeLog? That would seem to me to be
    > a lack of ... I'll stop that thought.

    Harlan,

    Can I second Richard's request for a changelog to be made available
    separately from the release itself, and linked to from the release
    announcement?

    Also, can I suggest that some sort of advice from the project team be
    included within release announcements, as to how important it is that
    existing installations upgrade to this new release, for example:

    * this is a security fix - upgrade asap;

    * this is a bug-fix release relevant only to OS x, y and z, or only to
    users who use features a, b and c - upgrade if relevant to you;

    * this is a feature upgrade - upgrade if the new features interest you.

    Let me take this opportunity to thank you for doing a thankless job!

    Best regards, Jan

  6. Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

    Jan Ceuleers wrote:
    > Harlan Stenn wrote:
    >
    >>> Are we having daily releases now? A "stable" release that is superseded
    >>> in a single day seems to me to lack some sort of stability!

    >> Are you posting without reading the ChangeLog? That would seem to me

    > Also, can I suggest that some sort of advice from the project team be
    > included within release announcements, as to how important it is that
    > existing installations upgrade to this new release, for example:
    >
    > * this is a security fix - upgrade asap;
    >
    > * this is a bug-fix release relevant only to OS x, y and z, or only to
    > users who use features a, b and c - upgrade if relevant to you;
    >
    > * this is a feature upgrade - upgrade if the new features interest you.

    Good idea!!!!

  7. Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

    Jan,

    I'd love to have those things.

    At the moment, the ChangeLog is generated as part of the release process and
    is not checked in anywhere.

    Ideas on exactly how to do this and volunteers to help implement it are
    welcome.

  8. Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

    Harlan Stenn writes:

    > Jan,
    >
    > I'd love to have those things.
    >
    > At the moment, the ChangeLog is generated as part of the release process and
    > is not checked in anywhere.
    >
    > Ideas on exactly how to do this and volunteers to help implement it are
    > welcome.

    I once had a release script that checked that the current release number
    (number to publish) was mentioned in the ChangeLog: It would fail to build a
    release if the Changelog had no entry for it. Now if you'd "grep" the text
    between the last and the current ChangeLog (and if the ChangeLog is
    "user-readbale"), you'd be done.

    Should be do-able ;-)

    Ulrich

  9. Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

    Harlan,

    Harlan Stenn wrote:
    > I'd love to have those things.
    >
    > At the moment, the ChangeLog is generated as part of the release process and
    > is not checked in anywhere.
    >
    > Ideas on exactly how to do this and volunteers to help implement it are
    > welcome.

    The former (a separately-available changelog, linked to from the release
    announcement) is what other software projects call release notes. The
    ntpd project also has something called release notes (on Dave Mills'
    website), but unfortunately this does not take the form of a log of
    changes in functionality; rather it is a zero-based description of how
    the 'current' release (without, BTW, explicitly identifying it) of V4
    differs from V3.

    So I guess that what I'm asking for is indeed something new, but
    (assuming that the release notes are under version control) should be
    able to be manually derived from the changelog of that document.

    The latter however (advice from the project team as to the urgency of
    deploying this release) is in fact a narrative on the compelling event
    leading to the release. Whoever takes the decision to release would be
    the source of this information.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards, Jan

  10. Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

    I have errors when compiling on FreeBSD 5.4 in p2, but there is no
    error in p1 and p3-RC.

    Very strange ...

  11. Errors Compiling NTP 4.2.2p2 (Was: Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released)

    On 2006-07-15, Eugen COCA wrote:

    > I have errors

    Please be more specific as to the nature of the errors.

    >when compiling on FreeBSD 5.4 in p2, but there is no
    > error in p1 and p3-RC.

    p2 == point release 2
    p3 == point release 3

    NTP 4.2.2p3-RC is the release candidate for NTP 4.2.2p3 which will
    replace NTP 4.2.2p2. Point release 3 is intended to fix any issues with
    point release 2.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  12. Re: Errors Compiling NTP 4.2.2p2 (Was: Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released)

    This is the last part of the log:

    Making all in sntp

    if gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\"
    -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\"
    -DPACKAGE=\"msntp\" -DVERSION=\"1.6\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1
    -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1
    -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1
    -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1
    -DHAVE_ARPA_INET_H=1 -DHAVE_FCNTL_H=1 -DHAVE_FLOAT_H=1
    -DHAVE_LIMITS_H=1 -DHAVE_NETDB_H=1 -DHAVE_NETINET_IN_H=1
    -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_SOCKET_H=1
    -DHAVE_SYS_TIME_H=1 -DHAVE_SYSLOG_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1
    -DTIME_WITH_SYS_TIME=1 -DHAVE_SS_FAMILY_IN_SS=1 -DPROTOTYPES=1
    -D__PROTOTYPES=1 -DRETSIGTYPE=void -DHAVE_ALARM=1 -DHAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY=1
    -DHAVE_INET_NTOA=1 -DHAVE_MEMSET=1 -DHAVE_SOCKET=1 -DHAVE_LIBM=1
    -DHAVE_STRRCHR=1 -I. -I. -g -O2 -MT socket.o -MD -MP -MF
    ".deps/socket.Tpo" -c -o socket.o socket.c; then mv -f
    ".deps/socket.Tpo" ".deps/socket.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/socket.Tpo";
    exit 1; fi
    socket.c:11:20: config.h: No such file or directory
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/home/user/ntp_sources/ntp-4.2.2p2/sntp.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/home/user/ntp_sources/ntp-4.2.2p2.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/home/user/ntp_sources/ntp-4.2.2p2.

    In p1 and p3 there where no errors.

  13. Re: Errors Compiling NTP 4.2.2p2

    Yes, which is why there is a p3-RC, where that problem has been fixed.

  14. Re: Errors Compiling NTP 4.2.2p2

    The question is why the 4.2.2p2 is the latest "stable" version in the
    download area ?

    In think this version must be eliminated from the web download if the
    error is well known.

    Just an opinion ...

  15. Re: Errors Compiling NTP 4.2.2p2

    On 2006-07-17, Eugen COCA wrote:

    > The question is why the 4.2.2p2 is the latest "stable" version in the
    > download area ?

    4.2.2p2 is the latest Stable Release. Unfortunately the Release
    Candidate phase was skipped for p2. This allowed a bug to slip through.

    The Release Candidate phase is _not_ being skipped for p3.

    > In think this version must be eliminated from the web download if the
    > error is well known.

    NTP 4.2.2p3 is currently available as a a Release Candidate. This
    Release Candidate will become the new Stable Release if no errors are
    reported during the test period. At that time 4.2.2p3 will become the
    current Stable Release.

    --
    Steve Kostecke