Re: Nagios NTP Warnings - All My Servers - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: Nagios NTP Warnings - All My Servers - NTP ; Per Hedeland wrote: > >>> since ntpdate can't really tell you anything about how >>> your local ntpd is doing (it seems to use ntpq too, but not for the >>> offset). >> >>ntpdate -q localhost >>would do that (and ...

  1. Re: Nagios NTP Warnings - All My Servers

    Per Hedeland wrote:

    >>> since ntpdate can't really tell you anything about how
    >>> your local ntpd is doing (it seems to use ntpq too, but not for the
    >>> offset).

    >>ntpdate -q localhost
    >>would do that (and might be used, when Nagios monitors localhost).

    > No it wouldn't - it's just plain bizarre: ntpdate can only tell you the
    > time offset between the queried host and the local host, which will
    > obviously always be effectively zero with such a query.

    Thanks for your clarification; of course you're completely right, I haven't
    thought about the semantics of ntpdate.

    I'll open a bug ticket for this at the Nagios project, as ntpd monitoring is
    obviously seriously botched.

    Joachim

    Joachim Schrod Email: jschrod@acm.org
    Roedermark, Germany

  2. Re: Nagios NTP Warnings - All My Servers

    Joachim Schrod wrote:

    >>> ntpdate -q localhost
    >>> would do that (and might be used, when Nagios monitors localhost).

    >> No it wouldn't - it's just plain bizarre: ntpdate can only tell you the
    >> time offset between the queried host and the local host, which will
    >> obviously always be effectively zero with such a query.

    > Thanks for your clarification; of course you're completely right, I
    > haven't thought about the semantics of ntpdate.
    >
    > I'll open a bug ticket for this at the Nagios project, as ntpd
    > monitoring is obviously seriously botched.
    >
    > Joachim

    The ntp person from Nagios was on recently asking questions.

    Danny

  3. Re: Nagios NTP Warnings - All My Servers

    Danny Mayer wrote:
    > Joachim Schrod wrote:
    >>
    >> I'll open a bug ticket for this at the Nagios project, as ntpd
    >> monitoring is obviously seriously botched.

    > The ntp person from Nagios was on recently asking questions.

    Yes, and for the record, in case someone searches in Google groups for problems
    with ntp and Nagios:

    Opening a bug ticket for the check_ntp Perl script was not necessary. The Nagios
    project has implemented a new version of the script, as a C program that uses
    the NTP protocol to query the servers for their state. No erroneous parsing of
    external programs is involved any more.

    Cheers,
    Joachim

    Joachim Schrod Email: jschrod@acm.org