Re: PPS signal that's not synchronized with second boundaries - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: PPS signal that's not synchronized with second boundaries - NTP ; On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:21:22 +0200, "Maarten Wiltink" wrote: > "Hal Murray" wrote in message > news:_--dnTaJHdp4oALZnZ2dnUVZ_vKdnZ2d@megapath.net... > > > Suppose I had something like a Rubidium oscillator that makes > > a nice PPS signal, but it's not ...

  1. Re: PPS signal that's not synchronized with second boundaries

    "Maarten Wiltink" wrote:

    > "Hal Murray" wrote in message
    >
    > > Suppose I had something like a Rubidium oscillator that makes
    > > a nice PPS signal, but it's not synchronized to a second boundary.
    > >
    > > Is there any way to take advantage of that?

    > If I've understood past news correctly, you can connect it as a
    > PPS source and, once you have an idea of its offset, tinker/fudge
    > it so it does appear synchronised to the second boundary.
    >
    > The bad news is that my recollection of said past news is also that
    > this didn't quite work then. I think the offset correction was
    > applied at the wrong point, so it still appeared off-beat. But
    > perhaps that got fixed in the meantime.

    I hope so, as that's how we're planning to hook-up a Rubidium oscillator,
    using refclock_atom! Without kernel/hardpps, i.e. flag3=0.

    Note that we expect to have to alter the fudge regularly to track Rb aging.

    --
    Ronan Flood
    working for but not speaking for

  2. Re: PPS signal that's not synchronized with second boundaries

    Ronan Flood wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:21:22 +0200,
    > "Maarten Wiltink" wrote:
    >
    >> "Hal Murray" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Suppose I had something like a Rubidium oscillator that makes
    >>> a nice PPS signal, but it's not synchronized to a second boundary.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to take advantage of that?

    >> If I've understood past news correctly, you can connect it as a
    >> PPS source and, once you have an idea of its offset, tinker/fudge
    >> it so it does appear synchronised to the second boundary.
    >>
    >> The bad news is that my recollection of said past news is also that
    >> this didn't quite work then. I think the offset correction was
    >> applied at the wrong point, so it still appeared off-beat. But
    >> perhaps that got fixed in the meantime.

    > I hope so, as that's how we're planning to hook-up a Rubidium oscillator,
    > using refclock_atom! Without kernel/hardpps, i.e. flag3=0.
    >
    > Note that we expect to have to alter the fudge regularly to track Rb aging.

    It should work - it's the flag3 = 1 mode thats broken.

    John

+ Reply to Thread