-M ntpd Option - NTP

This is a discussion on -M ntpd Option - NTP ; When the installer installed nptd on my Win XP SP2 machine as a service it added the -M option. I cannot find where this option is documented. Does anyone know what it does? Charles Elliott...

  1. -M ntpd Option

    When the installer installed nptd on my Win XP SP2 machine as a service it
    added the -M option. I cannot find where this option is documented. Does
    anyone know what it does?

    Charles Elliott

  2. Re: -M ntpd Option

    Charles Elliott schrieb:
    > When the installer installed nptd on my Win XP SP2 machine as a service it
    > added the -M option. I cannot find where this option is documented. Does
    > anyone know what it does?
    >
    > Charles Elliott

    This switch has been added by my colleague, Martin Burnicki, and is only
    available in our ports of the ntpd for Windows. The necessary additions
    to the sourcecode of ntpd have been submitted to the ntp project and -
    as far as I know - will be added in one of the upcoming dev releases. It
    is included in our "xmas"-Edition, the currently available version on
    our homepage (see http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm). Our time
    server monitor application
    (http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ti...er-monitor.htm) detects this
    and allows you to switch it on or off without directly messing with the
    registry.

    As David already explained, the switch enables the Windows Multimedia
    Timer when ntpd starts. If this is not done and you start an application
    that needs it, it will turn it on and ntpd will experience a significant
    time jump (20-40ms) at that point. After you closed the last application
    using the MMT, the time jump will happen again - in the opposite direction.

    Quite a number of applications make use of the MMT, including Quicktime,
    Windows Media Player and several browser plugins.

    We did not experience any significant drawbacks when enabling the MMT at
    the start of ntpd, therefore it makes sense to switch it on permanently
    and avoid the described time jumps.

    Kind regards,
    Heiko

    MEINBERG Radio Clocks
    www.meinberg.de

    IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.

  3. Re: -M ntpd Option

    Thanks to all. I did see that option on installation or elsewhere, but
    obviously forgot.

    CHE

    "Charles Elliott" wrote in message
    > When the installer installed nptd on my Win XP SP2 machine as a service it
    > added the -M option. I cannot find where this option is documented. Does
    > anyone know what it does?
    >
    > Charles Elliott

  4. Re: -M ntpd Option

    Heiko Gerstung writes:

    > Charles Elliott schrieb:
    > > When the installer installed nptd on my Win XP SP2 machine as a service it
    > > added the -M option. I cannot find where this option is documented. Does
    > > anyone know what it does?
    > > Charles Elliott

    > This switch has been added by my colleague, Martin Burnicki, and is only
    > available in our ports of the ntpd for Windows. The necessary additions to
    > the

    So to memorize, "-M" is the "Martin" switch ;-)

    As we will probable run out of letters soon, why not use an other scheme for
    setting options like "-o option_name[=option_value]" (brackets grouping
    optional parts). I think sshd has something like that for example.
    Readability would also improve iff options have useful names.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  5. Re: -M ntpd Option

    Ulrich Windl asked:

    > As we will probable run out of letters soon, why not use an other scheme for
    > setting options like "-o option_name[=option_value]" (brackets grouping
    > optional parts).

    Try --help on a 4.3.3 command...

  6. Re: -M ntpd Option

    Harlan Stenn wrote:
    > Ulrich Windl asked:
    >
    >> As we will probable run out of letters soon, why not use an other scheme for
    >> setting options like "-o option_name[=option_value]" (brackets grouping
    >> optional parts).

    > Try --help on a 4.3.3 command...

    I don't think you meant that. I think you meant 4.2.3 but that will do
    you know good on a windows box since it won't build there right now.

    Danny