information needed on Step/Slew - NTP

This is a discussion on information needed on Step/Slew - NTP ; Hi All, I wanted to know what exactly Step/Slew mean in NTP . Whenever NTP clock steps, does it do incrementally means does it change the time at one go . Is the incremental change in time is applicable in ...

  1. information needed on Step/Slew

    Hi All,

    I wanted to know what exactly Step/Slew mean in NTP . Whenever NTP clock
    steps, does it do incrementally means does it change the time at one go . Is
    the incremental change in time is applicable in all cases of NTP, or there
    are some exceptions for this .

    Thanks
    Suhas.P.B
    Lucent Technologies
    ST-1, Hosur Road, Bangalore - 560095.
    Tel: +91-80-51191355
    Mobile: +91-9886081128

    Lucent Technologies, Bell Labs Innovations

    <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/prom...&RAND=17474&pa
    rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

  2. Re: information needed on Step/Slew

    In article <3BE48DD0EC7D3948BC183931D9150C210438794E@ii0015exc h001u.iprc.lucent.com>,
    suhasp@lucent.com (P B, Suhas Suhas) wrote:

    > I wanted to know what exactly Step/Slew mean in NTP . Whenever NTP clock
    > steps, does it do incrementally means does it change the time at one go . Is

    In one *step*. However, there is a delay of many minutes before this to
    confirm that the step is really necessary. It's essentially considered
    error recovery, which is why it is probably a bad idea for you to make
    it more common by reducing the step threshold.

+ Reply to Thread