Leap Second Handling - NTP

This is a discussion on Leap Second Handling - NTP ; Can anyone clarify how the leap second is supposed to work? We have a GPS receiver which, I understand, already receives the leap second indicator LI and knows the leap second will happen end of 2008 UTC time. This GPS ...

  1. Leap Second Handling

    Can anyone clarify how the leap second is supposed to work?

    We have a GPS receiver which, I understand, already receives the leap
    second indicator LI and knows the leap second will happen end of 2008
    UTC time.

    This GPS receiver speaks IRIG-B with IEEE 1344 extensions to our Time
    Server. IEEE 1344 definition says the Leap Second Pending is set in
    the 59 seconds before the leap second happens.

    So our Time Server will know nothing about the leap second until 59s
    before the year end. By which time, NTP propagation down through the
    stratum hierarchy will fail to notify all NTP clients before the year
    end.

    In this scenario is it necessary to manually insert the leap second
    into the Time Server?

    Thanks in advance for any help

    Peter

  2. Re: Leap Second Handling

    PeterInFrankfurt@gmail.com wrote:
    > Can anyone clarify how the leap second is supposed to work?
    >
    > We have a GPS receiver which, I understand, already receives the leap
    > second indicator LI and knows the leap second will happen end of 2008
    > UTC time.
    >
    > This GPS receiver speaks IRIG-B with IEEE 1344 extensions to our Time
    > Server. IEEE 1344 definition says the Leap Second Pending is set in
    > the 59 seconds before the leap second happens.
    >
    > So our Time Server will know nothing about the leap second until 59s
    > before the year end. By which time, NTP propagation down through the
    > stratum hierarchy will fail to notify all NTP clients before the year
    > end.
    >
    > In this scenario is it necessary to manually insert the leap second
    > into the Time Server?

    You can download and install the NIST leap second file on your NTP server.
    See:
    http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Supp...P#Section_6.12.

    Be sure autokey is enabled since otherwwise the leap second file is not
    evaluated.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki