Re: Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS - NTP ; >An Update from what we have decided to do. > >As NTP is designed to achieve accuracy slowly and conservatively. We >have decided not to go down the NTP route. > >We have decided to use the PPS signal from ...

  1. Re: Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS

    >An Update from what we have decided to do.
    >
    >As NTP is designed to achieve accuracy slowly and conservatively. We
    >have decided not to go down the NTP route.
    >
    >We have decided to use the PPS signal from the GPS and force the system
    >time into being correct.
    >
    >It is a great shame the NTP doesn't achieve a high accuracy quickly, as
    >the method we have adopted has a low level of accuracy compared to NTP
    >
    >I am posting this mainly to help Nicola, with a solution.
    >
    >Many Thanks for all your help
    >
    >Best Regards
    >
    >David

    Hi David,

    yes, it's too bad. I just arrieved at work 2 hours ago, turned on the machine, wich has an initial offset of 50 ms today (last was 5?!) and I sit here since two hours reading newpapers, waiting for time to settle in order to sync the next machine to it.. Well, I will look into chrony, that's for sure and I can report back if anyone is interrested..

    Bye,
    .../nicola

  2. Re: Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS

    In article <14401664.251511225284968132.JavaMail.servlet@kunde nserver>,
    wrote:
    >yes, it's too bad. I just arrieved at work 2 hours ago, turned on the machine,
    >wich has an initial offset of 50 ms today (last was 5?!) and I sit here since two
    >hours reading newpapers, waiting for time to settle in order to sync the next
    >machine to it..

    Why was the machine that acts as your time server turned off?

    Its clock isn't as stable when its first turned on as when it reaches
    a thermal steady state (or as close as it can get to one).

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

+ Reply to Thread