Leap second quirk - NTP

This is a discussion on Leap second quirk - NTP ; Two of my systems injected leap seconds at the end of Aug and Sep. A couple of others didn't. I thought I saw some discussion of this, but I can't find it. Has anybody else seen this? Was I dreaming ...

  1. Leap second quirk

    Two of my systems injected leap seconds at the end of Aug and Sep.
    A couple of others didn't.

    I thought I saw some discussion of this, but I can't find it. Has
    anybody else seen this? Was I dreaming about seeing something here?

    Is the bug in the Linux kernel for not waiting until December, or
    should ntpd wait until December before telling the kernel?

    I think both systems are/were running a recent ntp-dev on a reasonably recent
    Linux (2.6) kernel.

    I'm watching (noselect) both systems from a third box that didn't have
    this glitch.

    One did what I expect. It's clock was off eby a second. After about 20
    minutes it stepped back.

    I haven't sorted out what the other one did yet.

  2. Re: Leap second quirk

    Hal Murray wrote:

    > Two of my systems injected leap seconds at the end of Aug and Sep.
    > A couple of others didn't.
    >
    > I thought I saw some discussion of this, but I can't find it.

    In August what seems to be a bug in SIRF chipset GPS receivers was discussed
    here. Look for "UTC Time from NMEA receiver one second behind DCF". This
    link http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/leap-gps3.gif shows the
    intermittent one second lag. It seems ntp is innocent since the wrong data
    is already in the NMEA data sent by the GPS receiver.

    Hope this helps.

    Harald

+ Reply to Thread