Command option iburst: usable in peerrelations? - NTP

This is a discussion on Command option iburst: usable in peerrelations? - NTP ; Hello, I am not quite sure on when to use the iburst option. In our network there are stratum 2 peers and stratum 3 peers. While configuring I read about the command options - also about iburst. The official documentation ...

  1. Command option iburst: usable in peerrelations?

    Hello,
    I am not quite sure on when to use the iburst option. In our network
    there are stratum 2 peers and stratum 3 peers. While configuring I read
    about the command options - also about iburst.
    The official documentation
    (http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp...nfopt.html#cfg) reads:
    "This option is valid only with the server command and type s addresses.
    It is a recommended option with this command."
    While the ntp.org site
    (http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Supp...ection_7.1.4.1.)
    states:
    "Use iburst in the appropriate peer or server lines in your
    /etc/ntp.conf file for faster sync (i.e. ~8-15 seconds instead of ~5-10
    minutes) "
    Is the iburst option usable in peers or not?
    Regards,
    Stefan

  2. Re: Command option iburst: usable in peer relations?

    On 2008-10-20, Nottorf, Stefan wrote:

    > Is the iburst option usable in peers or not?

    In my experience it is not.

    --
    Steve Kostecke