Wrong Time-settings for Australia? - NTP

This is a discussion on Wrong Time-settings for Australia? - NTP ; Dear Sir or Madam, Could it be possible, that the settings for the australian-region are momentarily not correct? With my Siemens Gigaset C470IP (IP-phone) i choosed Australia/Melbourne and DaylightSaving. But the Australians are a little bit earlier these days with ...

  1. Wrong Time-settings for Australia?

    Dear Sir or Madam,

    Could it be possible, that the settings for the australian-region are momentarily not correct?
    With my Siemens Gigaset C470IP (IP-phone) i choosed Australia/Melbourne and DaylightSaving. But the Australians are a little bit earlier these days with the daylight saving. So the time differs currently by one hour!

    Wrong time on my C470IP : 18:39
    Right time in Australia : 19:39

    Could you please check your settings on the server for this region?

    Thanks
    Thomas Kopowski

  2. Re: Wrong Time-settings for Australia?

    > Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:40:58 +0200
    > From: thomas.kopowski@web.de
    > Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net@lists.ntp.org
    >

    > Dear Sir or Madam,
    >
    > Could it be possible, that the settings for the australian-region are momentarily not correct?
    > With my Siemens Gigaset C470IP (IP-phone) i choosed Australia/Melbourne and DaylightSaving. But the Australians are a little bit earlier these days with the daylight saving. So the time differs currently by one hour!
    >
    > Wrong time on my C470IP : 18:39
    > Right time in Australia : 19:39
    >
    > Could you please check your settings on the server for this region?

    Thomas,

    I'm afraid you are confused about the operation of NTP. NTP has no
    concept of time zones or local time. While it could, in theory, be
    synchronized to any time, effectively, it only knows about UTC (also,
    often called GMT). It is up to the local system to translate this into
    local time.

    Both Windows and Unix platforms (including MacOS) support this, but they
    require that the systems have accurate time zone information. You need to
    talk to your system admin people to get this taken care of.
    --
    R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
    Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

  3. Re: Wrong Time-settings for Australia?

    thomas.kopowski@web.de wrote:
    > Dear Sir or Madam,
    >
    > Could it be possible, that the settings for the australian-region are momentarily not correct?
    > With my Siemens Gigaset C470IP (IP-phone) i choosed Australia/Melbourne and DaylightSaving. But the Australians are a little bit earlier these days with the daylight saving. So the time differs currently by one hour!
    >
    > Wrong time on my C470IP : 18:39
    > Right time in Australia : 19:39
    >
    > Could you please check your settings on the server for this region?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Thomas Kopowski

    And just what do you expect us to do about it?

  4. Re: Wrong Time-settings for Australia?

    thomas.kopowski@web.de writes:

    >Dear Sir or Madam,

    >Could it be possible, that the settings for the australian-region are momentarily not correct?
    >With my Siemens Gigaset C470IP (IP-phone) i choosed Australia/Melbourne and DaylightSaving. But the Australians are a little bit earlier these days with the daylight saving. So the time differs currently by one hour!

    >Wrong time on my C470IP : 18:39
    >Right time in Australia : 19:39

    >Could you please check your settings on the server for this region?

    This has absolutely nothing to do with ntp. That gives ONLY UTC (Universal
    Time Coordinate) Your local time is compeltely up to your operating system.
    If you phone gives the wrong time, yell at the phone manufacturer.
    It is entirely possible that they are wrong-- a) you probably bought the
    phone a while ago and they did not know at that time that the Australian
    politicians would change their minds again.
    b) You probably have not updated the software in the phone.

    Note that some phones get their time signals from the local wireless
    provider. Yell at the provider.

    >Thanks
    >Thomas Kopowski

  5. Re: Wrong Time-settings for Australia?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > thomas.kopowski@web.de wrote:
    >> Dear Sir or Madam,
    >>
    >> Could it be possible, that the settings for the australian-region
    >> are momentarily not correct? With my Siemens Gigaset C470IP (IP-phone)
    >> i choosed
    >> Australia/Melbourne and DaylightSaving. But the Australians are a
    >> little bit earlier these days with the daylight saving. So the time
    >> differs currently by one hour! Wrong time on my C470IP : 18:39
    >> Right time in Australia : 19:39
    >>
    >> Could you please check your settings on the server for this region?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Thomas Kopowski

    > And just what do you expect us to do about it?

    Well, we can at least be helpful and tell him, as folk have done, about
    NTP working purely in UTC, and that he must check his device's operating
    system for time display problems.

    David

+ Reply to Thread