QoS always the same Freebsd 6.1 ntpd 4.2.5p135@1.1793-o - NTP

This is a discussion on QoS always the same Freebsd 6.1 ntpd 4.2.5p135@1.1793-o - NTP ; I would like NTP traffic to use my providers EF traffic class. One way of doing that would be to send packet with DSCP == 46 (TOS byte == 184). But I have had no luck. I have fetched latest ...

  1. QoS always the same Freebsd 6.1 ntpd 4.2.5p135@1.1793-o

    I would like NTP traffic to use my providers EF traffic class. One way of
    doing that would be to send packet with DSCP == 46 (TOS byte == 184).
    But I have had no luck.

    I have fetched latest dev version (4.2.5p135@1.1793-o)

    No matter if what i try to configure(nothing, qos lowdelay, qos throughput,
    qos cs5) the packet get send with tos==0xc0.
    Trying to configure "qos 184" triggers a error in log:
    Oct 2 13:41:00 hjj ntpd[65100]: syntax error, unexpected T_Integer, expecting T_String
    Oct 2 13:41:00 hjj ntpd[65100]: parse error /etc/ntp.conf line 22 ignored
    so I am confident that the qos line can be read.

    Is that a problem specific to 4.2.5p135@1.1793-o?
    Is it a FreeBSD problem? (Do it work on other platforms?)

    I have been trying to read the code. I have not been able to figure out where
    "CONF_QOS_*" gets translated to the actual values. A pointer please.

    It looks as "EF"(http://www.iana.org/assignments/dscp-registry/) is not one of
    the supported values. I am missing that value. Or a possibility to specify any
    value.

    /hjj

  2. Re: QoS always the same Freebsd 6.1 ntpd4.2.5p135@1.1793-o

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Hans Jxrgen Jakobsen wrote:

    > I would like NTP traffic to use my providers EF traffic class. One way of
    > doing that would be to send packet with DSCP == 46 (TOS byte == 184).
    > But I have had no luck.
    >
    > I have fetched latest dev version (4.2.5p135@1.1793-o)
    >
    > No matter if what i try to configure(nothing, qos lowdelay, qos throughput,
    > qos cs5) the packet get send with tos==0xc0.
    > Trying to configure "qos 184" triggers a error in log:
    > Oct 2 13:41:00 hjj ntpd[65100]: syntax error, unexpected T_Integer,

    expecting T_String
    > Oct 2 13:41:00 hjj ntpd[65100]: parse error /etc/ntp.conf line 22 ignored
    > so I am confident that the qos line can be read.
    >
    > Is that a problem specific to 4.2.5p135@1.1793-o?
    > Is it a FreeBSD problem? (Do it work on other platforms?)
    >
    > I have been trying to read the code. I have not been able to figure out

    where
    > "CONF_QOS_*" gets translated to the actual values. A pointer please.

    ntp_config.h

  3. Re: QoS always the same Freebsd 6.1 ntpd 4.2.5p135@1.1793-o

  4. Re: QoS always the same Freebsd 6.1 ntpd 4.2.5p135@1.1793-o

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 02:11:10 GMT, Rob Neal wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Hans Jxrgen Jakobsen wrote:
    >
    >> I have been trying to read the code. I have not been able to figure out

    > where
    >> "CONF_QOS_*" gets translated to the actual values. A pointer please.

    > ntp_config.h

    Should have made that more clear. They are defined there, but that only maps
    to something that looks like a enumeration (values 1 .. 12) and not some
    usable DSCP values.
    /hjj

+ Reply to Thread