Proper Operation of ntpq -np and ntpdc -c peers - NTP

This is a discussion on Proper Operation of ntpq -np and ntpdc -c peers - NTP ; I have a Red Hat 4.0 Linux workstation that is running an NTP ver 4 client connecting to a ver 3 NTP server running on a Zyfer GPS receiver. When I run ntpq -np as root I get the following ...

  1. Proper Operation of ntpq -np and ntpdc -c peers

    I have a Red Hat 4.0 Linux workstation that is running an NTP ver 4 client
    connecting to a ver 3 NTP server running on a Zyfer GPS receiver. When I
    run ntpq -np as root I get the following response: No Association IDs found.

    Also when I run ntpdc -c peers as root I get the following response: server
    reports data not found.

    Can anyone tell me what could be causing these error responses?

    Steven J. Kelly

    CCOP Systems Engineer

    Office: (843) 218-4781

    Cell: (843) 709-6675

  2. Re: Proper Operation of ntpq -np and ntpdc -c peers

    Kelly, Steven J CPT RET wrote:
    > I have a Red Hat 4.0 Linux workstation that is running an NTP ver 4 client
    > connecting to a ver 3 NTP server running on a Zyfer GPS receiver. When I
    > run ntpq -np as root I get the following response: No Association IDs found.
    >

    > Also when I run ntpdc -c peers as root I get the following response: server
    > reports data not found.
    >

    > Can anyone tell me what could be causing these error responses?

    The responses you are getting suggest that ntpd is either not running or
    is not properly configured!

  3. Re: Proper Operation of ntpq -np and ntpdc -c peers

    On 2008-09-23, Kelly, Steven J CPT RET wrote:

    > I have a Red Hat 4.0 Linux workstation that is running an NTP ver 4 client
    > connecting to a ver 3 NTP server running on a Zyfer GPS receiver. When I
    > run ntpq -np as root I get the following response: No Association IDs found.
    >
    > Also when I run ntpdc -c peers as root I get the following response: server
    > reports data not found.

    Is the RedHat system actually configured to poll the Zypher?

    Are there any restrict lines in the ntp.conf on the RedHat system? Have
    you recently upgraded NTP? Did it work before the upgrade?

    What are the actual versions of NTP? (e.g. 4.1.0, 4.2.4) You can view
    them with ntpq -crv.

    It would be helpful to see the output of ntpq -pcrv from both the Red
    Hat machine and the Zypher. Please compress the lines a bit so that they
    are ~70 chars long.

    It would also be helpful to see the configuration for both systems.

    --
    Steve Kostecke