NTP configuration - NTP

This is a discussion on NTP configuration - NTP ; Hi, I have a problem with the NTP. 1- I am using machine where the timezone set to (GMT) Casablanca mandatory. 2- I would like to sync this machine with NTP Local Time in Norway. 3- So currently we set ...

  1. NTP configuration

    Hi,

    I have a problem with the NTP.
    1- I am using machine where the timezone set to (GMT) Casablanca mandatory.
    2- I would like to sync this machine with NTP Local Time in Norway.
    3- So currently we set manually the clock on my machine to Norway local time, because if the local
    Time in Norway is 10:00AM means Casablanca is 08:00AM. So thats why we have to adjust the clock on this machine manually to 10:00AM to match Norway local time.

    The problem here if we sync to NTP server it will auto sync the clock back to 08:00Am. So the question Is there any way to keep the clock on that machine synced with the local Norway time even due if the timezone on that machine is (GMT) Casablanca without forcing the machine to sync 2 hours back.

    Thank you very much
    Regards,
    Sami
    Explore the seven wonders of the world
    http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q...n-US&form=QBRE

  2. Re: NTP configuration

    On 2008-09-10, Sami al flaish wrote:

    > I have a problem with the NTP.

    You did not tell us what OS you are running ntpd on.

    > 1- I am using machine where the timezone set to (GMT) Casablanca
    > mandatory.

    If you are using a modern OS the system clock runs in UTC and the time
    is displayed in a system-wide, or per user, configurable time zone.

    > 2- I would like to sync this machine with NTP Local Time in Norway.

    You can't unless you are providing your own time-base.

    NTP servers are synchronized UTC.

    > 3- So currently we set manually the clock on my machine to Norway
    > local time, because if the local Time in Norway is 10:00AM means
    > Casablanca is 08:00AM. So thats why we have to adjust the clock on
    > this machine manually to 10:00AM to match Norway local time.

    You need to configure your OS to display the time in your time zone.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  3. Re: NTP configuration

    Sami al flaish wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem with the NTP.
    > 1- I am using machine where the timezone set to (GMT) Casablanca mandatory.
    > 2- I would like to sync this machine with NTP Local Time in Norway.
    > 3- So currently we set manually the clock on my machine to Norway local time, because if the local
    > Time in Norway is 10:00AM means Casablanca is 08:00AM. So thats why we have to adjust the clock on this machine manually to 10:00AM to match Norway local time.
    >
    > The problem here if we sync to NTP server it will auto sync the clock back to 08:00Am. So the question Is there any way to keep the clock on that machine synced with the local Norway time even due if the timezone on that machine is (GMT) Casablanca without forcing the machine to sync 2 hours back.

    There is no such thing as "NTP Local Time"

    NTP keeps UTC. You can configure your machine to DISPLAY local time.
    If you are using Unix or Linux you can set a timezone variable, I think
    it's called "TZ" to the offset of your local time from UTC and it will
    display local time. Windows has a similar facility. If you have a
    server with users in more than one timezone, each user can set his own
    local TZ variable and the system will display local time for his session.

  4. Re: NTP configuration

    Sami al flaish wrote:

    > I have a problem with the NTP.
    > 1- I am using machine where the timezone set to (GMT) Casablanca mandatory.

    Morocco is no longer on GMT in Summer. As well as ensuring that
    the machines are configured for the correct timezone, you will need to make
    sure you have the latest time zone definition data for Morocco, unless
    you really
    want UTC, in which case valid Morocco timezone definitions will no
    longer work
    for you.

  5. Re: NTP configuration

    David Woolley schreef:
    > Sami al flaish wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a problem with the NTP. 1- I am using machine where the
    >> timezone set to (GMT) Casablanca mandatory.

    > Morocco is no longer on GMT in Summer.

    I'm afraid you're only confusing the issue. "(GMT) Casablanca" probably
    refers to a timezone setting in Windows which may or may not obey DST
    rules, and hence has an confusing description.

    I have often tried to report this issue to Microsoft because such
    descriptions appear in text messages mailed out by the calendaring
    function of MS Outlook and sometimes make foreign visitors miss
    appointments during the summer! I gave up years ago.

    To the OP: Do not get confused, but please, please, please understand
    that NTP has no business at all with local time!!!!

  6. Re: NTP configuration

    Nero Imhard wrote:
    > To the OP: Do not get confused, but please, please, please understand
    > that NTP has no business at all with local time!!!!

    If I read the initial posting again it seems to me the OP wants to set the
    computer's time zone to UTC (On my Windows 2000 system Casablanca is
    labelled as "GMT" without switching to DST) but wants to have the Norway
    local time displayed on that machine anyway, which means the UTC time on
    that machine would be wrong by some hours.

    We have had a couple of customers who wanted to run a similar setup.

    One group of customers wanted to do so because they just didn't understand
    that unlike old DOS most current operating system distinguish between UTC
    and a local time.

    The other group wanted to do so because they wanted to run some crappy piece
    of software which didn't account for the difference between UTC and local
    time, e.g. because the application writes a log file which shall display
    timestamps in local time but the system call used to get the time stamps
    for the log entries return the system's UTC time.

    In the latter case the best advice is to kick the authors of the software
    and have them fix their application.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki