Ntp-4.2.4p5 client doesnít work without client host keys - NTP

This is a discussion on Ntp-4.2.4p5 client doesnít work without client host keys - NTP ; Hello Ntpd client in Ntp-4.2.4p5 exits immediately after start if it canít find the host keys even without using autokey authentication; here is the log message: 8 Sep 09:44:04 ntpd[10222]: crypto_setup: host key file ntpkey_host_myHostName not found or corrupt Iíve ...

  1. Ntp-4.2.4p5 client doesnít work without client host keys

    Hello

    Ntpd client in Ntp-4.2.4p5 exits immediately after start if it canít
    find the host keys even without using autokey authentication; here is
    the log message:

    8 Sep 09:44:04 ntpd[10222]: crypto_setup: host key file
    ntpkey_host_myHostName not found or corrupt

    Iíve configured ntp.conf to use one server without autokey keyword:
    server aServer
    No multicast, broadcast or manycast server/client have been
    configured. The problem goes away if I generate keys using ntp-genkey Ė
    H.

    I havenít seen this behavior in ntp-4.1.0. Is this new in ntp-4.2.4p5
    that we have to generate keys using ntp-genkey even without using
    authentication?

    Thanks

    Joe

  2. Re: Ntp-4.2.4p5 client doesnít work without client host keys

    On 2008-09-08, youpak2000@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Ntpd client

    ntpd is _both_ a "client" and a "server".

    > in Ntp-4.2.4p5 exits immediately after start if it can?t find the
    > host keys even without using autokey authentication; here is the log
    > message:
    >
    > 8 Sep 09:44:04 ntpd[10222]: crypto_setup: host key file
    > ntpkey_host_myHostName not found or corrupt

    This suggests to me that you have have enabled crypto in ntpd by
    including a crypto password line in ntp.conf but did not generate the
    host parameters.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  3. Re: Ntp-4.2.4p5 client doesnít work without client host keys

    On Sep 8, 2:30*pm, Steve Kostecke wrote:
    > On 2008-09-08, youpak2...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > Ntpd client

    > ntpd is _both_ a "client" and a "server".
    >
    > > in Ntp-4.2.4p5 exits immediately after start if it can?t find the
    > > host keys even without using autokey authentication; here is the log
    > > message:

    > > 8 Sep 09:44:04 ntpd[10222]: crypto_setup: host key file
    > > ntpkey_host_myHostName not found or corrupt

    > This suggests to me that you have have enabled crypto in ntpd by
    > including a crypto password line in ntp.conf but did not generate the
    > host parameters.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Kostecke
    > NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/

    Thanks Steve for your reply. The reason was 'crypto randfile /dev/
    urandom' in my ntp.conf file. There was no 'crypto password' in my
    ntp.conf file.

    Joe

+ Reply to Thread