ntp.conf location on Windows - NTP

This is a discussion on ntp.conf location on Windows - NTP ; On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Martin Burnicki wrote: > Please note that especially under Windows things may look different. The NTP > service first tries to open %windir%\ntp.conf, and, if that file does not > exist, %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\ntp.conf. ...

  1. ntp.conf location on Windows

    wrote:
    > Please note that especially under Windows things may look different. The NTP
    > service first tries to open %windir%\ntp.conf, and, if that file does not
    > exist, %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\ntp.conf.
    >
    > The GUI installers provided by Meinberg override these settings with an etc\
    > directory below the program installation path, by default \program
    > files\ntp\etc. The configured setting can be retrieved from the ImagePath
    > registry key of the NTP service registry entry.

    On Windows, the isn't defined place for 3rd party service
    configuration files the All Users profile? If so, shouldn't ntpd use
    something like:
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ntp\ntp.conf

    When you stick read-write files into %WINDIR% or %PROGRAMFILES%,
    you're braking conventions that enable forward and backward
    compatibility. Almost all of the software which was "broken" by Vista
    or Win 2008 ignored the MS-defined file placement rules (which I think
    have been documented since NT4 in the mid 1990s).

    Most software which "requires" admin rights on Windows is simply
    poorly written, and dumps temporary and config files into the wrong
    places.
    --
    RPM

  2. Re: ntp.conf location on Windows

    Ryan,

    Ryan Malayter wrote:
    > On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Martin Burnicki
    > wrote:
    >> Please note that especially under Windows things may look different. The
    >> NTP service first tries to open %windir%\ntp.conf, and, if that file does
    >> not exist, %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\ntp.conf.
    >>
    >> The GUI installers provided by Meinberg override these settings with an
    >> etc\ directory below the program installation path, by default \program
    >> files\ntp\etc. The configured setting can be retrieved from the ImagePath
    >> registry key of the NTP service registry entry.

    > On Windows, the isn't defined place for 3rd party service
    > configuration files the All Users profile? If so, shouldn't ntpd use
    > something like:
    > %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ntp\ntp.conf
    >
    > When you stick read-write files into %WINDIR% or %PROGRAMFILES%,
    > you're braking conventions that enable forward and backward
    > compatibility. Almost all of the software which was "broken" by Vista
    > or Win 2008 ignored the MS-defined file placement rules (which I think
    > have been documented since NT4 in the mid 1990s).

    Do you have a pointer where these locations are specified by Microsoft?

    This would not only affect the config file but also the location of the
    drift file and optionally the log files.

    IIRC the current location below %PROGRAMFILES% had been chosen after a
    discussion about the time when our first GUI installer was released.

    Of course this can be discussed again and changed in future versions.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  3. Re: ntp.conf location on Windows

    On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:15 AM, Martin Burnicki
    wrote:
    > Do you have a pointer where these locations are specified by Microsoft?

    It's part of the "Certified for Windows XXX" for each OS version I believe.

    Here is an MSDN blog post that seems to clarify this particular case a
    bit, with some references:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/amitava/archiv...t-case-15.aspx

    It seems NTP config files should go into %ALLUSERSPROFILE% or into the
    service account's local application settings directories.

    I imagine it is also documented in the Platform SDK as well, although
    I have never dug deep into that.

    > This would not only affect the config file but also the location of the
    > drift file and optionally the log files.
    >
    > IIRC the current location below %PROGRAMFILES% had been chosen after a
    > discussion about the time when our first GUI installer was released.
    >
    > Of course this can be discussed again and changed in future versions.
    >
    > Martin
    > --
    > Martin Burnicki
    >
    > Meinberg Funkuhren
    > Bad Pyrmont
    > Germany

    RPM

  4. Re: ntp.conf location on Windows

    Ryan,

    Ryan Malayter wrote:
    > On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:15 AM, Martin Burnicki
    > wrote:
    >> Do you have a pointer where these locations are specified by Microsoft?

    > It's part of the "Certified for Windows XXX" for each OS version I
    > believe.
    >
    > Here is an MSDN blog post that seems to clarify this particular case a
    > bit, with some references:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/amitava/archiv...t-case-15.aspx

    > It seems NTP config files should go into %ALLUSERSPROFILE% or into the
    > service account's local application settings directories.
    >
    > I imagine it is also documented in the Platform SDK as well, although
    > I have never dug deep into that.

    Thanks for the pointers.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  5. Re: ntp.conf location on Windows

    Ryan Malayter wrote:
    > On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Martin Burnicki
    > wrote:
    >> Please note that especially under Windows things may look different. The NTP
    >> service first tries to open %windir%\ntp.conf, and, if that file does not
    >> exist, %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\ntp.conf.
    >>
    >> The GUI installers provided by Meinberg override these settings with an etc\
    >> directory below the program installation path, by default \program
    >> files\ntp\etc. The configured setting can be retrieved from the ImagePath
    >> registry key of the NTP service registry entry.

    > On Windows, the isn't defined place for 3rd party service
    > configuration files the All Users profile? If so, shouldn't ntpd use
    > something like:
    > %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ntp\ntp.conf
    >
    > When you stick read-write files into %WINDIR% or %PROGRAMFILES%,
    > you're braking conventions that enable forward and backward
    > compatibility. Almost all of the software which was "broken" by Vista
    > or Win 2008 ignored the MS-defined file placement rules (which I think
    > have been documented since NT4 in the mid 1990s).
    >
    > Most software which "requires" admin rights on Windows is simply
    > poorly written, and dumps temporary and config files into the wrong
    > places.

    The Windows service is installed to use an account which has only 2
    privileges: Login as Service, Change System Time. All other privileges
    should not be assigned to the account. Note that creating an account
    belonging to the Users group has too many privileges.

    Changing the location of the ntp.conf file is on my list of things to
    address. Note that you can always use the -c option on the command line
    to put it anywhere you want.

    Danny

+ Reply to Thread