Re: Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conffile (Joseph Gwinn) - NTP

This is a discussion on Re: Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conffile (Joseph Gwinn) - NTP ; This isn't quite what you're asking for and it's certainly not ntp specific, but one technique that I have used in the past is to replace the binary I'm trying to "debug" with a script which dumps useful information and ...

  1. Re: Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conffile (Joseph Gwinn)

    This isn't quite what you're asking for and it's certainly not ntp
    specific, but one technique that I have used in the past is to replace
    the binary I'm trying to "debug" with a script which dumps useful
    information and then forwards the exec to the real binary.

    I usually have it dump its environment and the full set of command line
    arguments someplace safe and then exec the original binary. You could
    certainly have it run the original binary with strace.

    I have friends who'll run the binary with gdbserver and then they
    connect with gdb have their way with the binary. I've never done that
    so I have no idea how you'd invoke gdbserver.

    Joe Gwinn writes:
    > Which brings me to a question: How does one get NTP to tell you

    exactly
    > where it is getting such things as the ntp.conf file from, all without

    > being able to find or see the actual command line or lines that

    launched
    > the daemon? I did not see a ntpq command that sounded plausible,
    > although ntpq would be an obvious choice.
    >
    > This would be very useful for debugging, as each and every platform

    type
    > seems to have a different approach to handling NTP.

  2. Re: Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file (Joseph Gwinn)

    In article
    ,
    bbeatie@symmetricom.com (Breck Beatie) wrote:

    > This isn't quite what you're asking for and it's certainly not ntp
    > specific, but one technique that I have used in the past is to replace
    > the binary I'm trying to "debug" with a script which dumps useful
    > information and then forwards the exec to the real binary.

    This should work, but is a bit of work. I'll keep it in reserve.

    > I usually have it dump its environment and the full set of command line
    > arguments someplace safe and then exec the original binary. You could
    > certainly have it run the original binary with strace.

    I'm going to grind through the strace output next week.

    > I have friends who'll run the binary with gdbserver and then they
    > connect with gdb have their way with the binary. I've never done that
    > so I have no idea how you'd invoke gdbserver.

    I don't know if we even have gdbserver.

    Joe Gwinn

    > Joe Gwinn writes:
    > > Which brings me to a question: How does one get NTP to tell you

    > exactly
    > > where it is getting such things as the ntp.conf file from, all without

    > > being able to find or see the actual command line or lines that

    > launched
    > > the daemon? I did not see a ntpq command that sounded plausible,
    > > although ntpq would be an obvious choice.
    > >
    > > This would be very useful for debugging, as each and every platform

    > type
    > > seems to have a different approach to handling NTP.

+ Reply to Thread